Donation Option No Longer There

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
robertjosephmcgee

Re: Donation Option No Longer There

Post by robertjosephmcgee »

I am having the same issue today in Canada. I have been using the system to pay for my Nephew's mission (his home ward is in the US). I have US bank accounts and have had no problems up through January, but now all of a sudden the option to "Make a Donation" is no longer available when I log in. Please fix this so I can make these contributions from here. The alternative (mailing a check to his ward in the US) is more cumbersome and costly to me and to the Church.
robertjosephmcgee

SparkyMartin wrote:
jmaa1983 wrote:I live in Japan & have been donating online since last summer. I haven't changed anything in my account, but today when I went to make a donation, the tithing slip that usually is there, was not! I have the option to see my donation history, statements, settings, & help, but nowhere can I actually make a donation. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this & wondering why the ability to donate disappeared. Please help! Thank you.
Can you please try again? I believe we have corrected your access. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Can you fix this issue for me as well?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

robertjosephmcgee wrote:I am having the same issue today in Canada.
Did your membership records move? I'm not sure as the option is available in Canada.

If you're paying for the mission, perhaps your bishop should talk to his bishop and transfer responsibility to your ward. Just because that's the missionary's home ward doesn't mean they have to be the one with the account. That's just default.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
robertjosephmcgee

russellhltn wrote:
robertjosephmcgee wrote:I am having the same issue today in Canada.
Did your membership records move? I'm not sure as the option is available in Canada.

If you're paying for the mission, perhaps your bishop should talk to his bishop and transfer responsibility to your ward. Just because that's the missionary's home ward doesn't mean they have to be the one with the account. That's just default.
My membership records moved 6 months ago and I had no problem making donations in September, October, November, December, and January. So it seems pretty clear that I can make donations through LDS.org even with my records in Canada. If this problem was resolved for people in Japan and China (see earlier posts) then it ought to be able to be resolved for me in Canada.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

robertjosephmcgee wrote:If this problem was resolved for people in Japan and China (see earlier posts) then it ought to be able to be resolved for me in Canada.
In the case of Japan, they're military stationed overseas. I'm not quite sure about China, but it seems to be a similar situation. I don't think those options are generally available to members of those in that areas.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
robertjosephmcgee

russellhltn wrote:
robertjosephmcgee wrote:If this problem was resolved for people in Japan and China (see earlier posts) then it ought to be able to be resolved for me in Canada.
In the case of Japan, they're military stationed overseas. I'm not quite sure about China, but it seems to be a similar situation. I don't think those options are generally available to members of those in that areas.
But if I move responsibility for my nephew's mission payments to my ward in Canada then any family members in the US who want to contribute will have to mail checks to our ward in Canada. That wouldn't be sensible.

I made contributions online for many months while my records were in Canada. So that can't be the issue. Please don't make me move my records back to where our second home is in American Fork just so I can make these contributions online. I'm in Canada for only a few years, so I don't see any rational reason why I can't have this functionality back. Im a US citizen. I file taxes in the US. I have bank accounts in the US. How is this any different from someone who is temporarily stationed in another country for the military???
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

robertjosephmcgee wrote:How is this any different from someone who is temporarily stationed in another country for the military???
We'll have to see what Sparky says, but I imagine that it's because they belonged to special units that are composed of US citizens that are overseas.

robertjosephmcgee

russellhltn wrote:
robertjosephmcgee wrote:How is this any different from someone who is temporarily stationed in another country for the military???
We'll have to see what Sparky says, but I imagine that it's because they belonged to special units that are composed of US citizens that are overseas.
I just don't see why that matters. This is about creating a reasonable convenience for a devout, faithful contributor who would normally be living in the US but is temporarily living outside the US. I want to do a good thing - I want to make sizeable regular contributions to support my nephew on his mission, and then probably another nephew after that. It appears there is a way to create that convenience for me, since it has been done for others. So why wouldn't the church want to help me help them?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

russellhltn wrote:
Good point – most online record-keeping systems that roll out are turned on one stake at a time, and it might also be possible to turn things on one ward at a time. But turning features on one member at a time would be too much to manage.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
robertjosephmcgee

sbradshaw wrote:
russellhltn wrote:
Good point – most online record-keeping systems that roll out are turned on one stake at a time, and it might also be possible to turn things on one ward at a time. But turning features on one member at a time would be too much to manage.
But mine was already turned on - someone turned it off 6 - 7 months after I moved to Canada. I just want them to turn it back on. And really - how many members outside the US have US bank accounts? It doesn't seem that it would very difficult to accommodate the few of us that do, or at least not deactivate our ability to do it just because we leave the country for a little while. Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, it looks like I'm going to be a little late with my nephew's February mission payment.

Return to “Online Donations”