"Other" Category

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: "Other" Category

Post by lajackson »

mevans wrote:I've previously made contributions to the "Other" category that were not tax-deductible. I believe it can be on the same check as tax-deductible contributions. I don't know what the finance clerk does, but I believe the "Other" category donation has to be coded as to whether it is tax-deductible or not.
The clerk and bishopric member preparing the deposit do not determine if a contribution is charitable or not. The computer does. They indicate the breakdown of the donations into categories: Tithing, Fast Offering, Ward Missionary Fund, Humanitarian Aid, etc.

If the donation is to a category in Other, a purpose must be specified and the donation is entered into the proper subcategory, such as a Church-established fund (Temple Construction, Perpetual Education, Temple Patron Assistance, etc.) or a ward-established fund (Scout camp, magazine drive, etc.) The computer program does the rest.

If the donation is for approved, charitable purposes established by the Church, the contribution is charitable. If the donation is for any other purpose established by the ward, the contribution is non-charitable.

The computer sweeps the charitable donations to Church headquarters and gives the donor credit for the charitable donation. Donations to other subcategories set up by the ward in the Other account are left at the local unit, and the donor does not get charitable donation credit.

The donor may write one check for all if it, or provide any other combination of checks or cash up to the total amount of the donation.
cawilson

Post by cawilson »

lajackson wrote:The computer sweeps the charitable donations to Church headquarters
This to me sounds like the best reason so far why not to let the form take moneys for goods and services. It 'sounds like' the web form sends the EFT direct to the church's account, and then gives the membership number 'credit' for the donation. If that is the case, the form was only ever set up to deposit into one account, not 14,018, with new accounts being added every week. While it would be possible to build a tool that does just that, the quality management and the information security plans would have to be completely re-written, which isn't something you want to do after an application goes live. Or having another application that tracks the deposits into 'Other' category and then sends EFT's out to the 14,018 is also possible, but not something any CPA would like, and I assume pretty expensive to transfer that many small dollar amounts to so many different banks. It would have to be weekly or more often at minimum, because of the nature of some of those goods/services, meaning that you would have thousands of transfers a week, and few if any over a few hundred dollars. I don't actually know the cost to do an EFT, but banks don't take that risk for free, right? It has to be more than doing the bulk transfers of the entire charitable donations from the ward at longer intervals.

Thank you for explaining the financial logistics to me. It sounds like I just have to be content paying for my temple book the old fashioned way.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cawilson wrote:It 'sounds like' the web form sends the EFT direct to the church's account, and then gives the membership number 'credit' for the donation. If that is the case, the form was only ever set up to deposit into one account, not 14,018, with new accounts being added every week.
The one flaw in that argument is that ward missionary doesn't work that way. It goes into the ward's account, and even in to the named sub-account for the missionary. Much like the way people would like to see "Other" work. The one difference is "Other" tends to have ward-created sub-accounts where as the Ward Missionary has CHQ-created sub-accounts.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cawilson

Post by cawilson »

That is right! Good catch! If it is already looking up individual accounts by unit number, then the database is already in place, the quality and infosec requirements are already in place, and we are back to 'which is easier for the clerk: allocating it before or after deposit, through handwriting or a textbox?' Or maybe there are legal implications for using the same webform for both charitable and non-tax-deductible donations. But, I can't imagine that 'over-donation' would be any worse for a webform than the paper slips, as the slips are filled out by the same people, and whether the yahoo orders 1000 books on the same check as his tithing through the webform or putting it in an envelope, you still have the same mess. And forcing the person to type what it is for (definitely not suggesting, for my part, that an entry for every little thing be selectable in the drop down menu) I think solves the concern about over-donating to something.

But now I am curious. Has anyone made a contribution to a ward mission fund, and to another category, on the same EFT, and watched to see if it is done in one transaction or two? If it is only one, then the money goes into only one account at first. Does the church then send that money to the ward account through another EFT? Or perhaps the church just keeps the money and instead only makes a database entry that the money was paid, so it can be accessed in MLS. Another way to check is to have someone contribute to a ward mission fund through the webform and then check the actual bank account balance, and not just MLS.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cawilson wrote:But, I can't imagine that 'over-donation' would be any worse for a webform than the paper slips, as the slips are filled out by the same people,
No, it's worse. If in person, the donation can be set aside, the member can be tracked down and be told if it's not appropriate and give options as to what's to be done. If done on the web, the clerk would have to cut a refund check and get two people to sign it and deliver it to the member. (And since the donation was done via the Internet, the member may be away, traveling, or between wards. Not to mention the headache of extra transactions on an account whose purpose is to isolate transactions for clarity.

At minimum I think MLS would have to be modified to add a "allow donation" checkbox so that members don't donate to something the ward is trying to close out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

cawilson wrote:Or perhaps the church just keeps the money and instead only makes a database entry that the money was paid, so it can be accessed in MLS. Another way to check is to have someone contribute to a ward mission fund through the webform and then check the actual bank account balance, and not just MLS.
We have no way to checking that, at least not in the US. Local units have no visibility into the local account. It's handled entirely by CHQ. Local units only see what MLS shows.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

cawilson wrote:Has anyone made a contribution to a ward mission fund, and to another category, on the same EFT, and watched to see if it is done in one transaction or two?
One ACH transfer from your checking or savings account to the Church.
cawilson wrote:Does the church then send that money to the ward account through another EFT? Or perhaps the church just keeps the money and instead only makes a database entry that the money was paid, so it can be accessed in MLS.
In the U.S., the ward doesn't have a bank account in the normal sense of the word. Headquarters keeps the money, and MLS lets the local unit know how much is theirs to spend.

When the ward makes a deposit at the local bank, that bank is acting as a deposit agent for the Church and transfers the deposit directly through to the Church.

Other countries work differently.
esogs

Post by esogs »

Note, as I understand the missionary account, while there are subaccounts created by the church, and while the donations appear in the sub accounts, technically you aren't able to donate to a specific "person", or else that would be a non-charitable donation. You donate to the missionary account, which is also why the missionary other account is different in that you cannot return donations to the missionary account to the "donor" if for some reason that missionary doesn't use those funds. On every other ward specified"other" account, the rules are, if the donation isn't used for the intended purpose, you have to refund the money. This is because (as I understand it) that these are not charitable donations, because by definition you can't specify how the funds will be spent in a charitable donation. If the ward just took the money and used it for something else, it WOULD become a charitable donation, and the church would have to report it as such.

The ward specified other accounts are pass through accounts, used for convenience to "collect" money and distribute it for a ward purpose, and as such aren't charitable donations.
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

So from this lengthy discussion and what common sense says it sounds like that when our Young Women and Young Men conduct there camp fundraiser, we instruct the members to not try and do this online. This will need to be done with the hard copy donation slip, check, and envelope and noted in other as we have done in previous years. Do you agree with this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:it sounds like that when our Young Women and Young Men conduct there camp fundraiser, we instruct the members to not try and do this online. This will need to be done with the hard copy donation slip, check, and envelope and noted in other as we have done in previous years. Do you agree with this?
That is correct.

From the Help file FAQ:
Q10. Consistent with Church policy, our ward may have a fundraising activity to raise money for youth activities such as Young Women or Scout camp. Can this money be donated online?

A10. No, contributions made for fundraising activities are not considered donations but are considered a payment for goods or services and cannot be completed online. They are similar to paying for the cost of craft projects that are part of a Relief Society activity. They must be done through your local ward or branch.

Return to “Online Donations”