Online Donations for children

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
gumdong

Online Donations for children

Post by gumdong »

Is there a way to make donations for your children through your account or do they need their own account? This would be for kids that are 10 and 8 years old.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Online Donations for children

Post by lajackson »

gumdong wrote:Is there a way to make donations for your children through your account or do they need their own account? This would be for kids that are 10 and 8 years old.
You can only donate in your own name, so they would need their own LDSAccount (which you would have to give permission to create, since they are under age 13). They would also need to have a bank checking or savings account from which to contribute, and the minimum amount for an ACH transfer is $1.

Of course, they can continue to donate using the donation envelopes.
bryan4218

Post by bryan4218 »

Is there a minimum age guideline for a child to donate tithing online? I see that as parents we'd have to give permission to create an LDSAccount for a child under age 13, but is there an age cut-off? For example, a child is 4 and has a savings account. Would this child be too young to have an account and donate tithing online? Obviously the parents would be doing it for them until they are able to themselves, but I was just curious if there was an age that is not allowed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bryan4218 wrote:Is there a minimum age guideline for a child to donate tithing online?
I don't see one listed. However, there is a minimum amount: "must be greater than $1.00".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
SparkyMartin

Post by SparkyMartin »

bryan4218 wrote:Is there a minimum age guideline for a child to donate tithing online? I see that as parents we'd have to give permission to create an LDSAccount for a child under age 13, but is there an age cut-off? For example, a child is 4 and has a savings account. Would this child be too young to have an account and donate tithing online? Obviously the parents would be doing it for them until they are able to themselves, but I was just curious if there was an age that is not allowed.
The minimum age requirement is 13 years old.
bryan4218

Post by bryan4218 »

SparkyMartin wrote: The minimum age requirement is 13 years old.
Can you please show me where this is the fact, because that is contradictory to what others have said.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

bryan4218 wrote:
Can you please show me where this is the fact, because that is contradictory to what others have said.
SparkyMartin is a church employee and based on other posts he's made I assume he's involved with either support or development of online donations. So his information is almost surely more reliable than what the rest of us can provide. We're just other users relying on personal experience, documentation and/or guesses.
SparkyMartin

Post by SparkyMartin »

bryan4218 wrote:
I work on the Online Donations project as the quality assurance lead. The 13 year old age requirement is absolutely correct. Perhaps we need to add that as an FAQ item if it is not already there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

SparkyMartin wrote:Perhaps we need to add that as an FAQ item if it is not already there.
Please do. "Q9" is based on a child making a donation, but only mentions a minimum amount. I can't find anything about a minimum age.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
montgomeryburns

Post by montgomeryburns »

Why is the age limit 13 y/o as it should be open to anyone who is a member with parent permission?

Return to “Online Donations”