Audio/Video specifications?

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

jdlessley wrote:Ours has not inputs either.
So why does the GC broadcast paperwork we are given tell us to have the Telephone adapter on standby to be able to broadcast the audio in case of satellite failure?

With no inputs to put it over the sound system, what do you do if it fails? The Priesthood session has been chancey for us in the past, that's the one I worry about. The others you can always go to a friend's house to watch on BYUTV.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:Complain. They really should be set up right. But from what I've seen, I suspect the video guys just eyeball the adjustments. With any luck, they'll be back to do final setup. They rushed it to get it working for this weekend.
If I complain much more, I think the FM manager may start thinking about a contract hit on me. :eek:
Lancaster CA.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

avskip wrote:So why does the GC broadcast paperwork we are given tell us to have the Telephone adapter on standby to be able to broadcast the audio in case of satellite failure?

With no inputs to put it over the sound system, what do you do if it fails?
As long as you have a telephone line, an EJ-10 "crab box" and a mic cable that will stretch to the closest mic input for the chapel, that's all you need. You don't have to have a connection on the satellite rack (although it would be nice!)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:As long as you have a telephone line, an EJ-10 "crab box" and a mic cable that will stretch to the closest mic input for the chapel, that's all you need. You don't have to have a connection on the satellite rack (although it would be nice!)
I would need a 100 foot mic cable as the nearest microphone input is the far corner of the chapel. The A/V closet is at the furthest corner from there and that's the location of the closest telephone without attacking the phone closet (no idea what to do there anyway). Wonder what the length limit is on XLR cables?

I have the rest...
Lancaster CA.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

avskip wrote:Wonder what the length limit is on XLR cables?
Like most analog things, it just degrades with length. I don't think 100' is a problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:Like most analog things, it just degrades with length. I don't think 100' is a problem.
Found a site that says 200 feet is not uncommon for XLR and is considered a max limit. They also mention professionals running them the length of a football field with no problem (300 feet).

I'll just plug one into another until I get there. :D
Lancaster CA.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

At some point I think the high frequencies roll off, but keep in mind we're talking about audio from a phone line. Not exactly a wide frequency range.

Also, you can choose to extend the telephone cable and keep the mic cable short.

I think the ideal solution would be to have a telephone jack in or near the chapel so you can use the EJ-10 and hear how it's working out right there.

skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:At some point I think the high frequencies roll off, but keep in mind we're talking about audio from a phone line. Not exactly a wide frequency range.

Also, you can choose to extend the telephone cable and keep the mic cable short.

I think the ideal solution would be to have a telephone jack in or near the chapel so you can use the EJ-10 and hear how it's working out right there.
Maybe the best way is to use a long phone cord and short mic cable. Get a 75 foot phone extension cable made up and keep it to a 25 foot mic cable and the crab..

I bet it'll sound just as good as most car stereos these days - phone line 'n all! :D
Lancaster CA.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

avskip wrote:Maybe the best way is to use a long phone cord and short mic cable. Get a 75 foot phone extension cable made up and keep it to a 25 foot mic cable and the crab.
Not only that, but if you have to buy a cable, phone cables are cheaper.

skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:Not only that, but if you have to buy a cable, phone cables are cheaper.
I was thinking about this and probably the best way to go is going to be to use an extension cable for the phone as we have been discussing. This will allow a better quality signal into the microphone inputs in the chapel that I can get to.

I found a 100 foot four wire telephone extension cable on the Internet for under $10. I doubt you'll find an XLR cable of equal length for that price anywhere!

Thanks for the idea!
Lancaster CA.

Return to “Satellite”