Audio/Video specifications?

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Three modulators is the norm for a two lanuage meeting house. In our case one is for English (Ch 3), one for Spanish (Ch 4), and one for the video camera (Ch 6). Perhaps the forth is for ASL. If this is so then there will be two satellite receivers in your cabinet.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

jdlessley wrote:Three modulators is the norm for a two lanuage meeting house. In our case one is for English (Ch 3), one for Spanish (Ch 4), and one for the video camera (Ch 6). Perhaps the forth is for ASL. If this is so then there will be two satellite receivers in your cabinet.
Only have one receiver (or did as of last night) and no one that would use the ASL broadcasts in our Stake (to date anyway).

Who knows what's happening next!
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

How many video camera inputs do you have?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

avskip wrote:Ok. So that's what they are doing. It didn't seem they were that sophisticated. I have 3 channels now for some reason (3,4,6) and they are adding another modulator for a camera. So they are the inputs for the combiner. On the old system I think they used a powered distribution amp for that.
Correct. Our old system used I think a set of splitters in reverse and fed an amp. These new modulators have a higher level output. Apparently no amp required.

avskip wrote:Now I'm wondering why I'm going to have 4 modulators. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me right now. Maybe tomorrow it will.
Adding a 3rd language? A modulator for a camera seems to be common to help with overflow. Or maybe it will be your playback channel? Only one way to find out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

jdlessley wrote:How many video camera inputs do you have?
As far as I know I only have one input. But since they pulled all new wiring and even changed the number of xlr plugs available, there could be one hiding somewhere.
Lancaster CA.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:Correct. Our old system used I think a set of splitters in reverse and fed an amp. These new modulators have a higher level output. Apparently no amp required.

Adding a 3rd language? A modulator for a camera seems to be common to help with overflow. Or maybe it will be your playback channel? Only one way to find out.
Not adding a 3rd language to my knowledge. Playback channel could be nice. How on earth did we manage with only two modulators and switches before? :rolleyes: I guess I'll just have to sharpen up the ole axe and see how many rings are in the tree...
Lancaster CA.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

avskip wrote:Why are they isolating the non-English speaking people? It's so easy if you have the translation units. Keeps everyone together then you can use the TV setup for overflow (if that many show up).
We would need 100 translation units, and we do not have that many.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

That was an interesting look around last night and this morning at the new system.

There is a video RCA jack next to the stage. Just says video. No idea if it's camera inbound or composite outbound. Didn't have time to trial it yet. Maybe that's what the new modulator is for. There's an F connector above it as well.

Do your installations have the IR sensors mounted up near the top of the Won Doors (accordion doors)? They apparently are using those to switch amps on/off for various areas of the Cultural Hall/Overflow/Chapel according to what doors are opened/closed.

Looked closely at the a/v closet for outputs. There are 3 test points. One on the combiner, two on modulators. All of the pictures look like a living cartoon at these points. Pretty weird looking. Heavy colors with haloed shadows around all the objects in the picture. Ick. :(

Still no inputs for anything that I can see not even for the backup satellite audio feed. :cool:
Lancaster CA.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

avskip wrote:There is a video RCA jack next to the stage. Just says video. No idea if it's camera inbound or composite outbound. Didn't have time to trial it yet. Maybe that's what the new modulator is for. There's an F connector above it as well.
Sounds like your meetinghouse configuration is similar to ours. If it is, then I suspect the RCA jack is for a video projector or similar device (video out). We have a video RCA jack on the left side of our overflow for our video camera feed to the modulator in the satellite cabinet. We also have an F connector at the same junction box as the stage RCA jack. I have never checked it to see what it's function is.
avskip wrote:Do your installations have the IR sensors mounted up near the top of the Won Doors (accordion doors)? They apparently are using those to switch amps on/off for various areas of the Cultural Hall/Overflow/Chapel according to what doors are opened/closed.
Yes the sensors activate/deactivate the audio feed to the overflow and cultural hall from the chapel audio.
avskip wrote:Looked closely at the a/v closet for outputs. There are 3 test points. One on the combiner, two on modulators. All of the pictures look like a living cartoon at these points. Pretty weird looking. Heavy colors with haloed shadows around all the objects in the picture. Ick.
Sounds like they have not been properly adjusted. I use those test points to troubleshoot problems in the RS room output and the nursery room output. I have not noted any picture problems when connecting a TV to those test points.
avskip wrote:Still no inputs for anything that I can see not even for the backup satellite audio feed.
Ours has not inputs either.
JD Lessley
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

avskip wrote:Do your installations have the IR sensors mounted up near the top of the Won Doors (accordion doors)? They apparently are using those to switch amps on/off for various areas of the Cultural Hall/Overflow/Chapel according to what doors are opened/closed.
Yes. We only have one set of doors. But the way it works is when they are opened, the cultural hall sound is turned on and slaved to the chapel. If the doors are closed, then the cultural hall is controlled by it's own control panel. Before, you probably had to throw a switch to for that function.
avskip wrote:All of the pictures look like a living cartoon at these points. Pretty weird looking. Heavy colors with haloed shadows around all the objects in the picture. Ick. :(
Complain. They really should be set up right. But from what I've seen, I suspect the video guys just eyeball the adjustments. With any luck, they'll be back to do final setup. They rushed it to get it working for this weekend.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Satellite”