Audio/Video specifications?

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

avskip wrote:So I guess if your satellite reciever flakes out, then you can go to another building with a satellite.

The alternative is to get the backup audio installed, or use a laptop and snag the broadcast off of the internet from a source such as BYU-TV (move.org). This does not work for the general priesthood session, however.
All you do is take the Spanish output from the satellite and, using a EJ-10 crab box, feed it to the translation receiver then hand out the translation headset/earphone combo's.

For a short time when we could not get the actual audio feed, we set up a TV with speaker, tuned to the Spanish channel, and put the microphone for the translation headset up to the speaker. Very decidedly low-tech, and we had to guard the room from the curious, but it worked for that time we needed it. Another way would be to take the audio out of a newer TV via the RCA jack or similar, and feed it into the translator system.
I really do feel as if I've been thrown to the Stone Age with "modern" digital equipment.

I get a call from one of our units every conference. The first instruction is usually to unplug the receiver, count to 30, and plug it in again. This usually solves all of the basic problems. But, it does not solve the real challenges for someone who is trying the faithfully fulfill their calling.

Hang in there. It is a connected world. There are ways.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

1) I'll have to figure out something for the backup audio.

2) You've given me an idea! I could use an old VCR tuned to the Spanish channel then feed the audio out from that into the translation transmitter. Thanks!

On another but related note, how many of you have a 1Ghz Passive combiner in your rack? What's that used for? I don't see much of a reason for it, but I've been wrong before. The only thought I have is that it's to feed the 7" flat screen in the closet.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

avskip wrote:2) You've given me an idea! I could use an old VCR tuned to the Spanish channel then feed the audio out from that into the translation transmitter. Thanks!
Yup. None of our projectors have turners. So that's where my broken VCRs go.
avskip wrote:On another but related note, how many of you have a 1Ghz Passive combiner in your rack? What's that used for?
[raises hand]. It combines the output of the different modulators into a single wire for the rest of the system that goes to all the "F" jacks scattered around the building. If you only have one modulator, then it's pointless, but it sounds like you have at least two. A lot of unused inputs, huh. ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

avskip wrote:I could use an old VCR tuned to the Spanish channel then feed the audio out from that into the translation transmitter. Thanks!
Great idea. We still use the old vcr to drive the projector in our chapel because it will not take a composite RF signal.
1Ghz Passive combiner in your rack? What's that used for?
If I am not mistaken, that is the box that combines the two (or sometimes three) composite video and audio channels into the one coax feed that is distributed throughout the building. It will be there if you have more than one language in your meetinghouse.

I think the signal from each individual channel receiver goes to the combiner, which then distributes the combined signals out onto the coax. That way you can tune the TV to any of the correct channels from any coax output location and get the language you need.

In some buildings, the FM group is changing this. We found out that a building had been rewired so that the Spanish audio was only available in the Relief Society room, and it caused us a problem when we needed to use the chapel to broadcast a program in Spanish that still had English on the primary channel.

Edit: Sigh. I see that Russell had his hand up first. [grin]
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

avskip wrote:1)On another but related note, how many of you have a 1Ghz Passive combiner in your rack? What's that used for? I don't see much of a reason for it, but I've been wrong before. The only thought I have is that it's to feed the 7" flat screen in the closet.
In the satellite cabinet you probably have two or more language audio video modulators. Each modulator takes the satellite signal from the satellite digital television receiver for one language and converts it to a modulated radio frequency signal tuned to a specific channel much the same as over the air TV broadcasts. The passive headend combiner is used to combine the signals from each of the modulators for transmission over a single cable throughout the building. The TV, monitor, or projector at the outlet then uses the RF tuner to select the desired language channel program. The video outlet at the podium is usually set to the primary language (English for our building) for the unit.

Edit: beat to the punch again. Oh well. TMI?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:The video outlet at the podium is usually set to the primary language (English for our building) for the unit.
Nit pick: All the video is the same. Only the audio channels differ.

The one exception is for ASL (American Sign Language). To get that you either need a separate receiver or catch a rebroadcast.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:Yup. None of our projectors have turners. So that's where my broken VCRs go.

[raises hand]. It combines the output of the different modulators into a single wire for the rest of the system that goes to all the "F" jacks scattered around the building. If you only have one modulator, then it's pointless, but it sounds like you have at least two. A lot of unused inputs, huh. ;)
Ok. So that's what they are doing. It didn't seem they were that sophisticated. I have 3 channels now for some reason (3,4,6) and they are adding another modulator for a camera. So they are the inputs for the combiner. On the old system I think they used a powered distribution amp for that.
Lancaster CA.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

jdlessley wrote:In the satellite cabinet you probably have two or more language audio video modulators. Each modulator takes the satellite signal from the satellite digital television receiver for one language and converts it to a modulated radio frequency signal tuned to a specific channel much the same as over the air TV broadcasts. The passive headend combiner is used to combine the signals from each of the modulators for transmission over a single cable throughout the building. The TV, monitor, or projector at the outlet then uses the RF tuner to select the desired language channel program. The video outlet at the podium is usually set to the primary language (English for our building) for the unit.

Edit: beat to the punch again. Oh well. TMI?
Somehow I have the feeling I'm pretty informed on combiners now. :D
Lancaster CA.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

lajackson wrote:Great idea. We still use the old vcr to drive the projector in our chapel because it will not take a composite RF signal.

If I am not mistaken, that is the box that combines the two (or sometimes three) composite video and audio channels into the one coax feed that is distributed throughout the building. It will be there if you have more than one language in your meetinghouse.

I think the signal from each individual channel receiver goes to the combiner, which then distributes the combined signals out onto the coax. That way you can tune the TV to any of the correct channels from any coax output location and get the language you need.

In some buildings, the FM group is changing this. We found out that a building had been rewired so that the Spanish audio was only available in the Relief Society room, and it caused us a problem when we needed to use the chapel to broadcast a program in Spanish that still had English on the primary channel.

Edit: Sigh. I see that Russell had his hand up first. [grin]
Why are they isolating the non-English speaking people? It's so easy if you have the translation units. Keeps everyone together then you can use the TV setup for overflow (if that many show up).
Lancaster CA.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:Nit pick: All the video is the same. Only the audio channels differ.

The one exception is for ASL (American Sign Language). To get that you either need a separate receiver or catch a rebroadcast.
Now I'm wondering why I'm going to have 4 modulators. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me right now. Maybe tomorrow it will.

I have to arrive early for tomorrow's broadcast just so I can figure out what has to be done. Hopefully it will all work. Yes, they have cut it THAT close on me!
Lancaster CA.

Return to “Satellite”