Everything is always fine until the broadcast does not start

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Everything is always fine until the broadcast does not start

Post by lajackson »

Our stake was denied an encrypted regional satellite broadcast this evening because our new satellite receiver was not registered with Church headquarters. A phone call from the first counselor in the stake presidency was not able to resolve the issue. He was instructed to contact the FM Group and have them register the receiver on Monday.

Since everyone in the U.S. just got new receivers, you might wish to make certain your receiver is actually registered with the Church, especially if you are coming up on an encrypted broadcast, such as a temple dedication or a special regional conference.

We were able to get a backup URL for our broadcast, but I would be surprised if something like a temple dedication had one of those.

And maybe they just missed our one receiver at the stake center. I guess we'll find out more on Monday.

The gospel is still true. On the other hand, I still have a problem understanding why no one bothered to tell us that we would not get the broadcast. We sent in our information over a week ago and thought everything was fine.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Everything is always fine until the broadcast does not start

Post by russellhltn »

I'm trying to remember our last big encrypted broadcast. I thought there was something where we confirmed everything was working - perhaps a test broadcast. Maybe it was verification of the serial numbers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

russellhltn wrote:I'm trying to remember our last big encrypted broadcast. I thought there was something where we confirmed everything was working - perhaps a test broadcast. Maybe it was verification of the serial numbers.
For our last temple dedication there was a test broadcast about a week before. I don't think they've done that for the stake conference broadcasts.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jonesrk wrote:For our last temple dedication there was a test broadcast about a week before. I don't think they've done that for the stake conference broadcasts.
I do not believe we had a test. We were fine until the Not Authorized message showed up and the excitement started.

As a follow up, the Church satellite office contacted us this morning for additional details, and our receiver is now registered. They are also looking at their procedures to see if the problem might be averted in the future. They have been very helpful.

We still have not heard back from our FM Group on whether or not the other receivers in our stake are registered, or if this was just one that got missed when they were all swapped out.

Return to “Satellite”