New Cisco D9865

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New Cisco D9865

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:
Mikerowaved wrote:Yep. Just got through the Priesthood Session and I counted 19-20 video glitches where it would briefly pause, then snap forward a few frames and continue. The audio usually continued uninterrupted, except for 3 times when there was a noticeable break in the audio stream.

Not sure where in the transmission path the problem is, but it really needs improvement.
My guess is that the problem is in the transmission path from the satellite to your satellite antenna, possibly a lower signal power, and your receiver is compensating for it.

We had one brief pause during the priesthood broadcast lasting about a half second. So it appears the problem was not at the transmission end.
I also had glitches during the talks mentioned, so I wouldn't be so sure about that conclusion. It's possible the signal strength of the uplink is changing. If you have an excellent signal on receive, you may be able to ride it out, but everyone with "mediocre" or "acceptable" signal will get glitch. I'd also caution that the freeze is very brief. If you're taking notes, it would be easy to miss.

I do have a DVD recorded, so I can go back and compare notes if someone else has a recording to compare with.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

We recently received the new Cisco receivers. I didn't run Women's Conference or Saturday Conference, but I saw several video glitches and heard several audio glitches on the Sunday Morning session similar to what others have reported. I'll have to check with people who where here for other sessions to see if they noticed any glitches. I agree that the old Wegener units didn't have this type of problem.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I spoke with satellite tech support and they confirmed the video and audio glitches are a known problem and they are investigating.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:We had one brief pause during the priesthood broadcast lasting about a half second. So it appears the problem was not at the transmission end.
I also had glitches during the talks mentioned, so I wouldn't be so sure about that conclusion.
But I repeat that I did not have glitches during the talks mentioned, so the transmission must have been sufficient, or I also would have had glitches. And the sound did not miss.
russellhltn wrote:I'd also caution that the freeze is very brief. If you're taking notes, it would be easy to miss.
No caution needed. But unless the other glitches lasted less than the time it takes me to blink, I did not miss any. I was not taking notes. I was watching the broadcast like a hawk because of other technical issues here.

That said, mevans mentioned, "I spoke with satellite tech support and they confirmed the video and audio glitches are a known problem and they are investigating." That would mean with the new receivers. We have had those same problems on other broadcasts. These receivers do seem much more sensitive to signal strength and other satellite receiving dish interference.

I do realize that the transmission is not always perfect. (Remember the 12-minute drop during Elder Perry's talk in the 1980s?)

But the broadcast was nearly perfect for us Saturday evening.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I had a sun outage for the morning sessions. It does seem like these receivers go from "OK" to "nothing" much more quickly then the old ones did. The old ones would click away and flash the red status light for about a minute before you'd see anything in the video. The new ones - you get maybe 5 seconds of some glitches and it's gone. My suspicion is that it is less tolerant of dropouts than the old system.

But signal to noise is a cumulative situations - both up and down. If you have an exceptionally strong signal, then a fade on the uplink may not affect you. But for the people it does affect it would affect all at the same time. So the uplink is not off the hook - yet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Out of curiosity, what's everyone's Signal quality and signal level? Right now, mine seems to be about 50 and 32.

By going into Menu > Setup Menu > Dish setup.

rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

I had Quality=60, Level=59 shortly after the end of the Sunday afternoon session in Newberg, Oregon under largely cloudy skies and maybe a little light rain, with the old (oldest, IIUC), enormous white Scientific Atlanta dish. I noticed the picture pause for a good fraction of a second around 3-7 times per hour, and a few brief bursts of audio noise (white-noise-like) a little less than once per session.

Do we have a definition of what Cisco's "signal quality" means? If we had a mapping from "signal quality" to Eb/No, along with the FEC ratio, that would help calculate where the cliff should be.

<tongue-in-cheek-mode>
For the building where neighboring trees apparently block the dish's view, have you considered renting a couple of beavers and smearing something tasty on the trunks of the relevant trees? :-) :-)
</tongue-in-cheek-mode>
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rmrichesjr wrote:Do we have a definition of what Cisco's "signal quality" means? If we had a mapping from "signal quality" to Eb/No, along with the FEC ratio, that would help calculate where the cliff should be.
I went looking for a guideline of what is acceptable both in the Help Center and in the Cisco user manual and came up empty. Not only is there a "cliff" but there should be an "best practices" margin to allow for the fact that the signal will degrade the signal from time to time. For example, for weather. But without any guide line, we're kinda winging it.

Return to “Satellite”