Turning off Satellite Receiver

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
aclawson

Re: Turning off Satellite Receiver

Post by aclawson »

russellhltn wrote:I'd imagine that some units have environments that go outside of the specifications when the HVAC system is off. Operating a system outside of it's operating specifications is more stressful then thermal cycling.
Operating specs for a Unity 550 call for temperatures between 10C (50F) and 40C (104F). Meetinghouses shouldn't be dropping below 50 degrees, and if your A/V room is exceeding 104F then it needs climate control because there are a lot of other electronics in there that *are* kept on 24/7 that shouldn't be that hot.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:Operating specs for a Unity 550 call for temperatures between 10C (50F) and 40C (104F). Meetinghouses shouldn't be dropping below 50 degrees, and if your A/V room is exceeding 104F then it needs climate control because there are a lot of other electronics in there that *are* kept on 24/7 that shouldn't be that hot.
I wonder what the situation in Arizona buildings are like?

I can pass the temperature specs, but not the humidity. I've also had to replace a couple of units.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

If you are exceeding 80% humidity at 88 degrees or 50% humidity up to 104 then your A/V room needs a dehumidifier. But since we're discussing it, why doesn't the building spec call for the placement of a $15 thermometer/hygrometer where the equipment is? If this is such a major problem that they want to present a new policy shouldn't we be getting actual numbers?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:If you are exceeding 80% humidity at 88 degrees or 50% humidity up to 104 then your A/V room needs a dehumidifier.
It wouldn't work in my situation. The A/V room is also the return air plenum for the retrofitted A/C system. The door is louvered to allow airflow.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Yucky. In an environment like that I would consider requisitioning a climate controlled equipment case. However, a mountable wine cooler would be a few hundred dollars cheaper (you would probably have to mount the equipment vertically) - a wine cooler as opposed to a mini fridge because the cooler is more aesthetically pleasing and tend to be quieter. And putting a satellite receiver in a fridge is just weird.

Just as an example, Costco has a $190 model measuring 25-3/4"H x 14-1/4"W x 20"D. You'd have to make some modifications to it, but I can't think of any obvious reasons why this wouldn't work. (Or spend the $1100 for a wall mounted climate control box.)
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

To address some previous posts --
Changes within the Church organization can take a while (the Church did a study on this), and many tech things never seem to make it into official policy or take a long time if they do. The fact that one GSC person had heard of this and another hadn't somewhat confirms this. And many things from the tech side never make it to the FMs. But things seem to be getting better.

This instruction came during the LDS tech conference a few weeks ago, from the head of satellite technology for the Church. Fairly authoritative, but I agree that written guidance is always preferred. I don't remember so well any more but I believe the reasoning was due to temperature-related failures. If someone else wants to listen to the session (it's online) and comment though I think it would be a great idea.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

I just asked an RF engineer I know who deals with satellite (and other) communications 24/7. He says that the receiver should be kept on, especially in the winter, because the 18V at the LNB keeps it warm and you can have lock issues if it gets too cold. Not a problem in California or Florida, but a real issue in snowy climate.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If the problem is thermal, then it sounds like a "it depends" situation. Arizona in the summer is probably not a bad idea. It depends on how hot the room gets.

aclawson

Post by aclawson »

It would be most appreciated if people would stop issuing one-size-fits-all policies without discussion or consideration of the outcome. The people in the field are highly experienced and should be listened to, not deemed nothing more than enlisted grunts who should never do anything other than blindly follow orders.

The head of satellite technology should be *here*, often, and participating.

Return to “Satellite”