RF to video adapter

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
drepouille

RF to video adapter

Post by drepouille »

During stake conference, I have for years used an old VCR to convert RF channel 4 to a video signal for the projector in the cultural hall. Well, that VCR died. I had to unmount another VCR from a TV cart temporarily for last week's stake conference.

What device can I purchase to convert RF channel 4 to a video RCA plug without using a VCR tuner?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: RF to video adapter

Post by russellhltn »

I wonder if any of those HDTV tuners that were designed to allow receiving digital TV with older sets can tune analog signals? I know that many of them have the composite outputs.

You might also talk with FM about adding a baseband connection to the cultural hall.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

You could use a tuner box like this. I haven't used that item personally, but it gives you the idea.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

If it is possible to switch from RF to regular composite video, it would be much better.

This is what I did in our cultural hall. The RF connection was a 'home run' (one cable from the satellite cabinet to the jack) with no splitters or taps - just a single wire. I simply added an adapter in the cabinet to make the connection a BNC and plugged it into one of the open connections on the video distribution amplifier, then I switched out the wall plate for an RCA connector. Finally I got a long RCA cable for our projector.

Now we never have to find and connect a VCR, nor do we need to tune the VCR to the correct channel and the picture is superior to what we had before.

Check to see if you can do the same - it will save a lot of hassle. PM me if you need additional instructions.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

michaelfish wrote:If it is possible to switch from RF to regular composite video, it would be much better.
Our FM group had this done this for us in our stake center during the last round of upgrades. Both the cultural hall and chapel have wall-mounted RCA jacks carrying composite video that's linked to the output of the satellite receiver. This makes setting up 2 projectors for general conference (or a regional stake conference) a breeze.

Problem is, during a local stake conference when we input a video feed into the camera jack in the back of the chapel, it doesn't come out on the composite jack in the cultural hall. That jack is set to only show what's coming over the satellite. For those cases, we still keep a VCR on hand. I know I could rewire the satellite cabinet each time, but a VCR works.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Flexibility is the key. We need to show video from the camera jack in the overflow. We also need the ability to show English on channel 4, Spanish on channel 5, and ASL on channel 6. So I think the RF cable jack in the cultural hall is fine. I just need a portable tuner to convert the desired channel into composite video.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

drepouille wrote:During stake conference, I have for years used an old VCR to convert RF channel 4 to a video signal for the projector in the cultural hall. Well, that VCR died. I had to unmount another VCR from a TV cart temporarily for last week's stake conference.

What device can I purchase to convert RF channel 4 to a video RCA plug without using a VCR tuner?
russellhltn has the right idea. Talk to the FM manger, and he can order a tuner to replace the VCR.
A note of caution: most of the standalone tuners currently available are not the best quality, but it should hold you over till the building comes due for a system update, which will eliminate the need for a TV tuner.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

StevePoulsen wrote:but it should hold you over till the building comes due for a system update, which will eliminate the need for a TV tuner.
This comment was followed up in a new thread Meetinghouse system update
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

We also need the ability to show English on channel 4, Spanish on channel 5, and ASL on channel 6. So I think the RF cable jack in the cultural hall is fine.
I'm not sure I understand. I can't see any need for an RF channel (TV) in the cultural hall.

Speaking strictly of the cultural hall audio overflow: when the doors between the cultural hall and chapel are open, isn't the sound in the cultural hall always the same as the chapel?

If a different audio language was needed for only the cultural hall, the picture would be the same (excluding ASL) but that audio would compete with the chapel's. In addition, for sound in the cultural hall to be different from the chapel, the overflow sound would need to be disabled. How would you get the other language to come through the speakers...(I'm lost)?

...I could never imagine a set up with a different language heard in the cultural hall. ASL perhaps, but that's only video, so a better picture could still be obtained via rewiring the RF jack to a composite video connection.

In our building, there is a switch to select the distributed feed (Satellite, VCR/DVD, Camera or other). The only advantage of the RF jacks in the building is the ability to listen to a different audio language.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

michaelfish wrote:In our building, there is a switch to select the distributed feed (Satellite, VCR/DVD, Camera or other).
I want one! Is your switch installed inside or outside the satellite cabinet (or somewhere else)?

Return to “Satellite”