Meeting house Video Distribution over HDMI/ Cat6

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Meeting house Video Distribution over HDMI/ Cat6

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Do they also turn it off the week prior for the General Women's Session? And what about during the Worldwide Young Adult Devotionals and the First Presidency Christmas Devotional?
No idea. I don't think it's really announced anywhere, it just happens. So try it and find out. [grin]. There's a good test coming up next weekend. Then again, my memory may be faulty.

But given the lack of announcement, I wouldn't plan on it, but if "Plan A" fails, it's worth a try to see if you can get it via YouTube.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ah, a quick Google to refresh my memory.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

lajackson wrote:
russellhltn wrote:I thought they turned off the YouTube block for General Conference weekend.
That would be news to me. Do they also turn it off the week prior for the General Women's Session? And what about during the Worldwide Young Adult Devotionals and the First Presidency Christmas Devotional?

I think the streaming feed from LDS.org/broadcasts does not go through YouTube.
I remember You Tube being turned off. Wasn't it an experiment? A few days later the block was reapplied.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

rolandc wrote:The 552 is SD 580tvl via the HDMI port, but what does work are the RGB connectors to an HD scaler. Picture looks far better that way.
Would you please say which scaler you're using?
rstilmar

Post by rstilmar »

Has anyone else used uPNP/DLNA for CCTV distribution for Stake/general conference? Some of the new flat screen TV’s at the buildings have internet connections and support media servers. The satellite receiver has an HDMI port and I found an HDMI capture card on E-Bay for under $40. I used the open source ‘Universal Media Server’ and ‘FFmpeg’ programs to setup a media server using an older dual core computer. I have some of the ‘youth videos’ and ‘Flat mop instruction’ videos on the server so these in addition the HDMI source and be selected on the TV’s. The picture is better than what comes out on channel 6 and the sound from the TV is in sync with the picture. Downside, the HDMI program material is about 5-10 seconds behind what’s on the house sound system. I connect HDMI over cat6 to the front of the Chapel (gen conf) and Rec Hall (stake conf) for the projectors which resolves sync issues between those locations. It has its quirks but seems to do as well or better than the VIDIU box. I had tried multi-cast previously but synchronization was problematic and I couldn’t get the TV’s to support it.
roblad

Post by roblad »

Another way to send HDMI over a long distance is to use HDMI to SDI converters. The new SAT receivers have an HDMI output that includes both audio and video. SDI signals can be run on a very long RG6 cable to where the HDMI signal needs to go. At this far end, a SDI to HDMI converter is used get back to HDMI for a short run to the projector or display. This provides a clean video signal and clean audio.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

roblad wrote:SDI signals can be run on a very long RG6 cable to where the HDMI signal needs to go.
Only if the RG-6 cable has a center conductor of solid copper, which is pretty rare. Most use copper-clad steel, which is great for RF signals that use the "skin effect". For digital or baseband signals it's better to use a bare copper coax, such as RG-59.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:
roblad wrote:SDI signals can be run on a very long RG6 cable to where the HDMI signal needs to go.
Only if the RG-6 cable has a center conductor of solid copper, which is pretty rare. Most use copper-clad steel, which is great for RF signals that use the "skin effect". For digital or baseband signals it's better to use a bare copper coax, such as RG-59.
For that matter, you have to make sure the coax wiring you're dealing with is a direct run (like for video) and not a RF distribution run (with taps, splitters, etc.).

Typically, there will be one video run to the pulpit and one to the back of the chapel for a camera, but I think everything else tends to be for RF distribution.

rstilmar

Post by rstilmar »

The advantage of using the LAN was the TV could receive it natively, the picture was better (HD), used existing wiring (FM supplied) and there wasn't a need for a converter box at the TV end. Anyone else played with uPNP/DLNA sourcing from HDMI (camera or satellite)? The TV setup is about the same (RG59/f connector/channel 6, cat5/RJ45/multi-media,)

Return to “Satellite”