FM Group and TV's and Libraries

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: FM Group and TV's and Libraries

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
Mikerowaved wrote:Just like old PC's, they don't plan to use them, then plan to dispose of them.
The only time I've seen that happen is when a new PC is provided by FM. I've never seen/heard of it happening when there's donated machines - such as to the FHC.
My FM group has asked me to pass on to them for disposal all computers that are no longer needed. Over the years that has certainly included old computers donated to the FHC.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

One note that I've been told by (2) FM is that they feel free to move equipment around anywhere they like, at anytime they like. I was told to lock up anything in the Bishop's credenza that we wanted to 'keep' because everything else is there's to do with as they please. They DO NOT inform an Agent Bishop, or Agent Stake President.... NO COMMUNICATION on their part is felt necessary.

In this case, they could be seeing an over-abundance in some meetinghouses while others are under-provision, so they took from the over-provisioned building to meet the needs of another. Not saying it happened, but it is also a plausible scenario.

This is what happens when Stakes Purchase Stuff on their own and we bypass all processes in place. The FMG might operate under unavailable guidelines as has been said, but the thousands of wards and stakes that bypass the process setup a false sense of reality that the FMG deals with.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:My FM group has asked me to pass on to them for disposal all computers that are no longer needed. Over the years that has certainly included old computers donated to the FHC.
That's far different from the FMG taking or demanding a machine to be turned in for every new machine donated.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
aebrown wrote:My FM group has asked me to pass on to them for disposal all computers that are no longer needed. Over the years that has certainly included old computers donated to the FHC.
That's far different from the FMG taking or demanding a machine to be turned in for every new machine donated.
It might be, but that's not the scenario I was responding to. I was simply responding to the question of the FMG disposing of computers that are replaced. Demanding wasn't part of the post I responded to, nor my response.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Stakes and ward should communicate through their Stake PFR with their FM. There are specific guidelines as to how many of each device are allowed for each meetinghouse.

When our FM started installing the first round of 32-inch LCD TVs, they quickly learned that the TVs could not play mp4 video files through the USB port. So our FM quickly installed two WD TV Live media players in each meetinghouse, with instructions on how to use them with flash drives.

The next round of 32-inch TVs that our FM installed were able to play mp4 files.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
farwest

Post by farwest »

Thanks for all the input. Just a couple of thoughts. On Gary_Miller observation of leaders bringing their own laptop or tablet to show video's. There are some that do not have a laptop or tablet and now feel pressure that to have a calling they need a laptop or tablet. I have been in classes where a laptop or tablet has been used and the sound and picture because of size is inferior in all ways to the TV. Yes you can teach without either but that was not the point of the "Come Follow Me" program and all the effort that went into it to get it off the ground. But it was grounded from the start because the cart was in front of the horse without the TV's to play the media on. Our stake president was impressed to buy tv's to make this available for our youth, they are the future of the church and he wanted them to have access to the best teaching tools available. He said that it really is all the same money and we are all on the same team and we all have the same goals. So he made the decision to buy TV's and it has been a good thing for our youth.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The FM is responsible to maintain an accurate and current inventory of all such devices, probably for insurance purposes, etc. If a stake or ward cannot wait for the FM budget to receive updated equipment, the FM prefers that the stake or ward sends payment to the FM, who will then purchase standard equipment that meets all Church guidelines.

As for disposal, I found a dead VCR in the stake center library over the weekend. We have been using it for many years to convert RF channel 4 to a video signal for our projector in the cultural hall during stake conferences. I asked the FM tech who was setting up our (the FM's) wireless microphones for stake conference, and he said it looked so old that it probably wasn't on the FM's inventory. I tossed it in the dumpster and sent an e-mail to the FM's office assistant.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I tossed it in the dumpster
Different areas have different laws about disposal.

I think Best Buy will take in old equipment, but may require a payment ($10 - but they'll give you a $10 gift card) to dispose of things with screens.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Oh yes. I am aware of the EPA penalties for imporperly disposing of CRTs.
VCRs, not so much.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

farwest wrote:There are some that do not have a laptop or tablet and now feel pressure that to have a calling they need a laptop or tablet.
We all have choices to make. No one is forcing anyone or even placing pressure on them to purchase a laptop or tablet. They can use the equipment in the library. Like I previously stated, I have yet to see all the TV being used to the point where no one could get one.
farwest wrote: I have been in classes where a laptop or tablet has been used and the sound and picture because of size is inferior in all ways to the TV.
Yes that can be a problem. However, I have yet to see all the TV being used to the point where no one could get one. How about You?
farwest wrote: Yes you can teach without either but that was not the point of the "Come Follow Me" program and all the effort that went into it to get it off the ground. But it was grounded from the start because the cart was in front of the horse without the TV's to play the media on.
While not haveing the proper equipment was a problem from the start it was never a show stopper. All the classes can be taught without the videos the videos just brought added quality into the classes. I don't believe it was ever grounded.
farwest wrote:Our stake president was impressed to buy tv's to make this available for our youth, they are the future of the church and he wanted them to have access to the best teaching tools available.
Good for him. However we are a church of order and there are procedures and policies that need to me followed.
farwest wrote:He said that it really is all the same money and we are all on the same team and we all have the same goals.
He is right to a point in that the funds all come from tithing money. However, he is wrong in the way the funds were used as the Budget Allowance funds were set aside by the Prophet and the Quorum of the Twelve for the use of ward and stake operations and activities. Not for the purchase of audio visual equipment. See the Budget Training in the May 1990 Ensign for a more complete understanding of the principles of the Budget Allowance.
farwest wrote:So he made the decision to buy TV's and it has been a good thing for our youth.
Being good for the youth does not make the action correct.

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”