Member wants to donate flat screens...

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
borenmt

Re: Member wants to donate flat screens...

Post by borenmt »

mrrad lists a link that apparently used to say how many TV's were approved for a building... But the page no longer states anything on the subject. Anyone know of an updated policy here?
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

The portion that used to give guidelines/rules on the number of TVs and the sizes permitted has apparently been replaced by....
See your facilities management representative for a list of approved electronic items such as copiers/printers, keyboards, projectors, cameras, CD players, DVD players, and TVs.
...so this is probably a good step towards allowing wards and stakes to obtain the equipment they think they need rather than impose a single policy church-wide. Now we just need to hope that everyone gets the word on this change and not have situations where someone is still trying to enforce the old standard. As usual, the people in these forums have no idea what each local facilities management group is doing, often including the one under which their own ward/stake operates.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mrrad wrote:...so this is probably a good step towards allowing wards and stakes to obtain the equipment they think they need rather than impose a single policy church-wide.
Or it means the wards are at the mercy of the FM Group.

I'm not a fan of the fact we can't get independently verify what rules the FMG has to follow. There's no check and balance.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:Or it means the wards are at the mercy of the FM Group.

I'm not a fan of the fact we can't get independently verify what rules the FMG has to follow. There's no check and balance.
Hopefully it means the wards and stakes will have to stay within the bounds of the funding sources and stop using LUBA to fund facility equipment type items. Thus leaving the funds to be used to for ward operation supplies and activities.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

That information was removed from the site, because it only applied to the US and Canada. Outside of the US and Canada, the DTA for that area, and his staff make the decisions about the temporal affairs of the church, including, what AV equipment is standard in the meetinghouse. Frequently these needs are not the same, and so the equipment provided is not the same. In these instances, rather than clarifying things, for everyone, the information became a source of confusion, so it was removed until a better method of distributing the information can be found.
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

This thread has been informative and helpful to me. I did notice a recent update about purchasing webcast products. the update is 6 March 2015.
https://www.lds.org/help/support/webcas ... s?lang=eng
Also a wonderful page webcasting
https://www.lds.org/callings/melchizede ... t?lang=eng
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

I notice that the item numbers mentioned in the post are not actually available through store.lds.org.... at least searching for those numbers results in "nothing found".
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Let's not divert the thread from it's original topic of member donated TV's.

In one of my ward buildings, some member has replaced the last couple of tube TV's with some used LCD's. As STS, the problems I'm having with this are numerous. I'll list a few:
  • Only one has a USB input and it doesn't play many of the MP4's DL'ed from lds.org.
  • These are just set on the tall rolling carts the tube TV's previously occupied and are NOT anchored down in any way. I can envision lawsuits flying should one of these come crashing down on some Primary kid.
  • Is having these in place going to jeopardize negotiations with my FM folks over acquiring church-issued LCD screens mounted on the proper carts?
  • The tube TV's are sitting in the corner of our already small library, but if I have the FM group dispose them, will that further hamper my efforts to get church-issued TV's in there?
There are other issues, but those are the biggest ones. I don't know who the donor was, but I'm not sure having that info would help.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The biggest issue is that once donated, FM marks that as a FLAT screen for that meetinghouse and it starts the 14 year ticker for replacement.

I would keep those tube TV's and lock that flatscreen in a Bishop's office... if you're lucky the FM group hasn't inventoried the flatscreen yet.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

They should be encouraged not to use donated or local unit budget funds to install these items on their own.
from another thread https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=20

Seems that the discussion of the FM group having this stewardship is right on.

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”