Suggested TV's to support USB mp4 files

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
Paulbb1

Re: Suggested TV's to support USB mp4 files

Post by Paulbb1 »

kjbailey8
Are you in Europe?
Paulbb1

Post by Paulbb1 »

I have word that new TV's supporting USB video are going to "committee" for approval by the end of January. I think that is a 24" and 32" TV's.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Let's hope the approval language doesn't need to go to translation and then be correlated in those languages..... :)
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Paulbb1 wrote:I have word that new TV's supporting USB video are going to "committee" for approval by the end of January. I think that is a 24" and 32" TV's.
Well, it's February and the wards in our building are ready to spend the money. Any news? Otherwise, I'm prepared to recommend Samsung.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

TinMan wrote:The Stake also outfitted our existing TV's with Blue Ray players that have USB ports. They have also provided us with flash drives that have all the Church's videos on them. 500 or so.
This seems like a much more useful option than simply a TV with built-in USB player. With the Blu-Ray player that can also play USB files (along with DVDs and audio CDs) it would seem like you have everything covered! Do you care to share the brand and model of Blu-Ray player your stake is using?
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

It is a Samsung model BD 05100
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

We have used the LG 24" LED HDTV Model 24MA31D-PU and the LG BP220 BluRay player. Both have USB playback and operate in a similar manner.
jirp

Post by jirp »

Our ward has a new Samsung.(add about thanksgiving) The catch is the it wants EZtv format of the video going in the USB port and I can't find out what format that is. AVI and MP4 file formats have both been tried on the memory stick as well as changing to a different stick. Neither were accepted so they obviously were not what it was looking for. So don't assume since it is Samsung that it supports MP4.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Well, the Bishops in our wards (three wards in one building) got together and authorized using leftover budget funds from last year (Thank you, CHQ, for letting us keep that) and we bought a couple of TVs and a couple of Blu-ray players (...because neither the stake nor the FM group wanted to buy them at this time). We have Sony Blu-ray players with USB ports and they play downloaded church videos wonderfully. Because the Blu-ray players can handle the MPEG-4 video files we opted to buy TVs that don't play the files, thus saving some money. And then we made sure that the TVs could accept VGA inputs from laptop computers, which was not always the case with LG and Samsung products.

Then, just to be a busybody, I created a "tutorial video" for anyone in our wards to review so that they can have a good experience using the stuff.
http://youtu.be/IX6FiFkkqZw
What you use in your building will be different equipment but this may give you an idea of how to train people on using the stuff correctly.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

model number?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”