FAQ for Supporting New Youth Curriculum Digital Media

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: FAQ for Supporting New Youth Curriculum Digital Media

Post by aebrown »

kc7qwh wrote:I looked through a few months of videos for young women and they all had a download link. Has the church made all videos for the rest of the year available for download?
At this point, the bulk downloads are available only through June. You can download any of the videos one by one (except for those that cannot be downloaded because of licensing restrictions), but that is clearly rather tedious.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

dannykos wrote:You can 'get' them all from various different sources. It took me a while - but I have all the videos for the year now.
I wasn't sure if you meant that you have all the videos for the whole year, including July through December, or if you simply menat you have all of the videos for the year so far. I'm only aware of the videos that have been identified for January through June. If the other months' videos are available I'd like to know so that I can download them as soon as possible.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

mrrad wrote:
dannykos wrote:You can 'get' them all from various different sources. It took me a while - but I have all the videos for the year now.
I wasn't sure if you meant that you have all the videos for the whole year, including July through December, or if you simply menat you have all of the videos for the year so far. I'm only aware of the videos that have been identified for January through June. If the other months' videos are available I'd like to know so that I can download them as soon as possible.
I have all the videos for the whole year, although that was as the resource material stood a few months ago. I haven't checked recently - but I'm sure that some of the years' content has been updated by now - which probably means my collection isn't quite 100%.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mrrad wrote:I'm only aware of the videos that have been identified for January through June. If the other months' videos are available I'd like to know so that I can download them as soon as possible.
I guess I wasn't clear enough. The bulk downloads are only available for January through June. But the individual downloads are available for the entire year.

To find the other videos, follow this example:
  1. Go to the Young Women page.
  2. Click on the August: Marriage and Family link on the left
  3. Click on the Why is family important topic
  4. Scroll down to the Videos section and note that there are two videos there.
  5. Click on the Families Can Be Together Forever video link
  6. Click on the download link for the video that pops up.
Repeat for each video in a topic, for each topic in the month, for each month in the year, and for Aaronic Priesthood and Sunday School. Note that some of the videos are duplicated between the three curricula, and that some of the videos can't be downloaded (but those videos won't be part of the bulk downloads, either).
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Well, that is a cumbersome process. I was waiting for them to show up on this page of video downloads where all of the months are listed. Silly me.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mrrad wrote:Well, that is a cumbersome process. I was waiting for them to show up on this page of video downloads where all of the months are listed. Silly me.
You're not silly -- just insufficiently patient. The last two quarters the bulk downloads for the upcoming quarter have been made available right around the beginning of the quarter. It would be nice to have them sooner than that, but that seems to be the pattern so far.

So if you continue to wait for the bulk downloads to show up there, your patience will be rewarded eventually. If you want them sooner, you can go through the cumbersome process. It's your choice.
kc7qwh

Post by kc7qwh »

Do the bulk downloads include the videos which are not available for download because of copyright. I assume the answer is no, but I want to be sure. Second, is there a way to get the videos which are not available for download because of copyright?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kc7qwh wrote:Do the bulk downloads include the videos which are not available for download because of copyright. I assume the answer is no, but I want to be sure.
That's correct; the answer is no. The bulk downloads contain only those videos which can be legally downloaded (which is the vast majority of the videos, but not all).
kc7qwh wrote:Second, is there a way to get the videos which are not available for download because of copyright?
There is no legal way to download videos which have licensing agreements that prohibit downloading. The Church is anxious to make any content available for download that it can. But there are cases where legal restrictions are in place because of the actors involved in a particular video, or for other reasons. In these cases, the Church can only provide the videos via streaming. Anyone who attempts to capture these streams is violating these legal restrictions and thus is breaking the law.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

aebrown wrote:Anyone who attempts to capture these streams is violating these legal restrictions and thus is breaking the law.
That's a strong statement. So maybe the moderators need to delete instructions about how to "break the law" from this thread here as well as this other one.

Of course, to the average viewer, the experience of watching a streamed video during a Sunday School lesson as opposed to one that was previously downloaded seems exactly the same. But if one is illegal and the other is perfectly okay then, well, it's going to be hard to convince the average viewer (and the average instructor) that they need to take the distinction that seriously.

Also, we've been told not to rely on streaming when presenting these videos on Sundays. So why do the people who are publishing these lessons tempt us to do something illegal when we dream up reliable ways to show the very videos they are recommending (which are not recommended to stream but are not legally available offline)? Very frustrating. If the videos can't be legally played without steaming then they should never be recommended to use in Sunday lessons.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

aebrown wrote:You're not silly -- just insufficiently patient.
....aaaaand Presto! The Youth Curriculum - Come Follow Me page now lists all 12 months of 2013.

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”