FAQ for Supporting New Youth Curriculum Digital Media

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
ulupoi

Re: FAQ for Supporting New Youth Curriculum Digital Media

Post by ulupoi »

Thank you, everyone, for your excellent comments. Is there a way to get the relevant curriculum people to look at this thread?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

If you have a specific issue you can always use the "Do You Have Feedback on This Page?" link on the LDS.org home page. We are told feedback from that source will get routed to the people who need to see it. Other than that, we have no special communication to the curriculum people.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kc7qwh

Post by kc7qwh »

If our building set up a media server, would it be possible to receive permission and have the ability to load the copyright videos onto this server? Streaming copyright videos over the internet is just not a realistic option for us because of low bandwidth.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

kc7qwh wrote:If our building set up a media server, would it be possible to receive permission and have the ability to load the copyright videos onto this server? Streaming copyright videos over the internet is just not a realistic option for us because of low bandwidth.
You might try calling around to the different departments... you will not get a good answer here because we are under rules to follow the legal policies and not to encourage going around them. If we want to get a rule changed, or figure out whether the rule applies to a meetinghouse, you really need to talk to the owners of the media.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kc7qwh wrote:If our building set up a media server, would it be possible to receive permission and have the ability to load the copyright videos onto this server?
As far as I know, there are no issues for what you propose - as long as you stick to church-owned content. As long as the media server is located in the building and only accessible inside the building. I don't see this is much different then downloading and burning a DVD or USB stick for the library. I can't say as I remember anyone worrying about copyright on those activities.

Where most plans run into trouble is the potential for public (re)distribution.

OR maybe I'm not understanding you. What do you mean by "copyright videos"? Are you talking about the ones that do NOT have the download option? The answer might be different.

You may need to check with the Intellectual Property Office at:

Phone: 801-240-3959 or 1-800-453-3860, ext. 2-3959
Fax: 801-240-1187
E-Mail: cor-intellectualproperty@ldschurch.org.

or by writing to:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Intellectual Property Office
50 E. North Temple
18th Floor, Salt Lake City, UT 84150-3012
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kc7qwh

Post by kc7qwh »

I am talking about the videos which do not have the download button because of copyright issues. I am also not trying to go around legal policies, I am only trying to understand what the policies are. I appreciate the responses and the email address and will follow up with them. If anyone has ideas of how to deliver the media which is not available for download, without violating copyright, it would be helpful. Streaming from the web is just not realistic in our building.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kc7qwh wrote:If anyone has ideas of how to deliver the media which is not available for download, without violating copyright, it would be helpful.
Hard to know without knowing what the original restrictions are. My best guess is some kind of caching proxy server that verifies the content is available, but then serves up a cached copy instead of downloading each time.

I suspect many people are simply having to do without for videos that can't be downloaded. I'm hoping that the church will resolve those problems going forward so in future iterations this won't be an issue. My guess is that the videos were created before this whole program fell into place so the copyrights secured didn't match the new use.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kc7qwh

Post by kc7qwh »

I sent the following question to Intellectual Property:
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:35 PM
To: COR-IntellectualProperty
Subject: New Youth Curriculum & Videos not available for download.
It is my understanding that up to 20% of the videos with the new youth curriculum are not available for download because of copyright restrictions. Is there any way to make these available in the meetinghouse without having to stream them from the internet? Streaming from the internet is not a realistic option at our building because of bandwidth issues. If a media server were set up in the building, could we place these copyrighted videos on this server as long as the media was to be used within the building only?

And their reply:
Brother Southam,
You are free to use the videos for the purpose and method you’re purposing.
Thank you for contacting our office.
Correlation Intellectual Property
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
50 E. North Temple Street, COB 18
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-0018
Phone: 801-240-3959
Fax: 801-240-1187
E-mail: cor-intellectualproperty@ldschurch.org

Does anyone know how to obtain these videos? Also any suggestions on a media server?
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

You can 'get' them all from various different sources. It took me a while - but I have all the videos for the year now.
kc7qwh

Post by kc7qwh »

I looked through a few months of videos for young women and they all had a download link. Has the church made all videos for the rest of the year available for download?

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”