FMG idea of Working TV in my stake

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
johnshaw

FMG idea of Working TV in my stake

Post by johnshaw »

OK.. Manufactured i 1997... yes much better than the 3 in our stake that were manufactured in 1991. This one at least has the RCA inputs, where those other 3 on have an RF input.

Notice the cleverly placed folded up cardstock purple paper Jamming the RCA posts into the position required for viewing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8558507/20121216_093209.jpg
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
drepouille

Re: FMG idea of Working TV in my stake

Post by drepouille »

Don't be too cranky, John. We had an old CRT in the stake center that had the coax connector broken off, so I was using the RCA plugs on the front. AFter a couple years, the composite video RCA plug became unreliable, so I told the FM it was on its last legs. He replaced it with a 32-inch LCD TV. The funny thing is that the guy who installed the TV on the cart used the same cables. I couldn't stand using a composite video cable on an HDTV, so I brought in a component video cable from home. I also use an HDMI cable when I need to connect my laptop to it.

Dana
johnshaw

Re: FMG idea of Working TV in my stake

Post by johnshaw »

Your FM replaced the TV where your RCA plugs became unreliable, and mine folded up a piece of paper and stuck it between the cart and the plugs and called it working.

What's not to be cranky about? You are right in one way. This meetinghouse is better off than the 3 other meetinghouses where the TV doesn't even have an RCA connection and must use an FM modulator to connect the RCA to the RF on the back of the TV... snowy connection and static audio. :)

I question:

What I really don't understand is how members have allowed it to get this far? Bishops, SS Presidents, Librarians, etc... Why aren't they asking for better equipment?

And I answer:

I think the curriculum being multiple years old, developed when VCR's were the 'new' technology and teachers used to play those videos, people are just not using them anymore, the new curriculum is finally catching up to what the church has been doing since 2009 and developing online media.

Now that this curriculum is out there, the TV situation is being seriously considered by ecclesiastical leaders who are finally seeing how bad the state is in meetinghouses that have been around for a while.

Just in time for the Church to ask the FMG to eliminate anything R&I in their budgets in light of the missionary announcements... now LUBA is going to be used because FM is telling SP all over the country they will need to budget in 2014 for these items.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”