Replacing OLD style TV and Trolley for Meeting House use...Suggestions?

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
gregwanderson

Re: Replacing OLD style TV and Trolley for Meeting House use

Post by gregwanderson »

Indeed. For all I know, my stake president might have told my bishop something like, "We can't pay for it but if you have the money..." I've been surprised, at times, with the open frustration (hostiliy?) expressed on these forums towards the FM Group. They are generally regarded as an inefficient organization which moves as a snail's pace and refuses to give anyone a "heads up" on their plans and timelines. If we had relied solely on the FM Group, the best we'd have now would be a TV/DVD player combo unit, which would sit in the library being used by nobody if not for the DVDs I've been making. (Seriously, the available DVDs from the Distribution Center include stuff that drips with 1980s music and hairstyles and/or feature-length movies that you would never watch in a standard class period. But the new videos you can download are wonderful.)

"The rules" about A/V equipment have, unfortunately, not always been practical. As recently as earlier this year we were arguing about how it was against policy to have a TV larger than 26 inches. Of course, those guidelines have been updated. (What a relief!) In the fast-moving world of technology I hope the guidelines will be reviewed and updated In very short intervals (such as multiple times each year).
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

lajackson wrote:I sense more of a frustration. Within his area of jurisdiction and responsibility, and with the support of his bishop and stake president, what Gary_Miller says is perfectly fine.

The only frustration I have is the same frustration felt by the !st Presidency when they have to fix something because the handbooks where not followed. In the handbook training President Monson gave several problems that had accrued in the past that would have not happened had the leaders involved just followed the written policies in the handbook.

I don't understand why others can't see the problems that arise when the LUBA policies are not followed. Problems such as people not being reimbursed because they don't feel they can ask for reimbursement because they hear there is no funds. Problems for the individual/families having to participate in camp funding, because some leader thought participates would better appreciate the camp if they provided part of the funding, even though there is plenty of funds in the budget. Problems caused by units doing unnecessary fund raisers (which by the way should be an exception) because we always have done a fund raiser or because some leader feels the youth should earn their way, even though there is plenty of funds in the budget. Then you hear someone say we diverted money from the budget to media equipment or laptop computers and it was not a big deal because our camps were funded by individual participation and fund raisers so we had a surplus. And this does not bother people even though the policy say different. Because the Bishop or Stake President said it was OK, I find it hard to respect a leader that does such things, and even harder to follow them. And this is happening through out the church.
lajackson wrote:But his interpretation, no matter how well intentioned and heartfelt, does not have application outside that jurisdiction.
Please understand its not my interpretation the Handbook is very clear on what the LUBA can and can't be used for. It is also very clear on how to fund long term camps.
lajackson wrote:We do not know the circumstances under which other leaders function. What others choose to do under the direction of their priesthood leaders, who may very well have been granted exceptions even to the Handbook, is up to them.
The training material made it very clear that "policy directions are approved and announced only by the First Presidency. They are not introduced through rumor from one leader or member to another."

When we put false information out on this form, such as funding media equipment using the LUBA. We introduce through rumor that its OK and its within the approved policies as long as its approved by the local leadership. This is wrong as the local leadership, even though they hold the keys for their area, do not have the authority to deviate or change policy from what is stated in the handbooks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:I don't understand . . .
No, you don't.

You have made some excellent points (again) and have advocated many correct principles. But you have not understood what I said.

If you are interested, I will be happy to explain further and will give you my personal email by PM if you wish.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

lajackson wrote:
Gary_Miller wrote:I don't understand . . .
No, you don't.

You have made some excellent points (again) and have advocated many correct principles. But you have not understood what I said.

If you are interested, I will be happy to explain further and will give you my personal email by PM if you wish.
I think I understand perfectly what it is you are saying. However, if you feel from my remarks that I'm missing something please feel free to explain further in order to help me understand more perfectly. You can do it here on the form or just PM me your explanation. Thanks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:I think I understand perfectly what it is you are saying.
I think it would be better if I send a PM this evening after I get home from work, which I will plan to do.
gtsawyer

Post by gtsawyer »

(Resurrecting an old thread)

I like Johnshaw's -provided TV cart/trolley/stand; simple and looks to be sturdy.

We are in the process of getting an appropriate cart for a 60" LCD display, which is a process that seemed easy at first, but more daunting every day.

Features that were especially important in my search for something to handle a large display:
- Sturdiness (unlikely to tip over when moving)
- Be able to fit through doors (not too wide, not too tall [or could be lowered easily])
- Able to handle a large TV format (VESA mounts)
- Cost

I finally zeroed in on the following cart that met most of the above requirements:
http://baltav.com/product.php?c=flat-pa ... -mount-c6b

My first attempt at purchase resulted in the reseller (Walmart) saying they were out of stock.
My second attempt resulted in me receiving 2/3 boxes (still missing the legs and casters)

I'm still working with the reseller (Zoro tools) and the manufacturer (Balt AV / Mooreco) for a resolution. (I just want the missing pieces, and don't want to return everything and start over)

As an aside, the FM group suggested the Stake find an appropriate TV cart, as they didn't have any particular recommendations or sourcing solutions. A ward within our stake purchased a pair of slightly smaller TVs with smaller stands, and having used the stands I wasn't satisfied with the stability, as they were a bit "tipsy" (more so than even the older and heavier carts).

I'll update this thread with further news of my experiences with this stand.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

gtsawyer wrote:Features that were especially important in my search for something to handle a large display:

- Cost

I finally zeroed in on the following cart that met most of the above requirements:
http://baltav.com/product.php?c=flat-pa ... -mount-c6b
Yes, I followed the link and the cost certainly was eye-opening. :)
gtsawyer

Post by gtsawyer »

Last update and summary on the Balt AV cart.

The distributor finally resolved the parts issue by sending a new, complete set (3 boxes).

After having used the cart/TV for a few weeks, here are my impressions:
Sturdiness: 10/10 Very heavy, very well built, with little chance of tipping
Able to fit through doors: 10/10 This easily fits, with an inch or two to spare, through the standard door opening (I'll measure the actual door height and width here shortly)
Able to handle large TVs: 10/10 Yes, and quite easily. You will need two people to assist in mounting it
Cost: 4/10 This cost almost as much as the TV. To it's credit, the stand will almost certainly last for decades, and I suspect last longer than multiple TVs.

Things I like:
Very sturdy
Unlikely to tip
Low safety hazard when moving
Nice, solid unit

Things I don't like:
I would have liked the ability for two casters to lock in one direction. Keeping this large unit pointed straight down the hallway is somewhat difficult. It would prove to be a challenge for a weak/small person.
Accessories like power strip other cable and connector storage have to be added by yourself
Until I removed the metal "rigidity" panel, it was quite noisy when moved. As it turns out, the panel offered no additional strength, and only added to the noise.

Next chore is looking for a suitable stand for a smaller TV, which should be much less work.
michaelcox

Re: Replacing OLD style TV and Trolley for Meeting House use...Suggestions?

Post by michaelcox »

Here is one I've used recently. Seems to be a good price.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RPP ... UTF8&psc=1
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Replacing OLD style TV and Trolley for Meeting House use...Suggestions?

Post by russellhltn »

In our stake, we ended up with a new meetinghouse library. It came with larger flat screen TVs on a cart made for them. The smaller ones came in a carrying case so they were more portable.

I'm sure there were problems in transition, but I'd hope that FM is now able to get the right carts for any new TVs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”