VGA to Composite Converter

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: VGA to Composite Converter

Post by Mikerowaved »

craiggsmith wrote:Is it OK to run a regular RCA cable from the camera or projector in the middle to the jack on the side (~30 ft?), or should I run coax for that distance?
I'm not sure what you mean by "regular RCA cable". I think you'll find most cable with RCA connectors is coax of some kind, with some being quite a bit thinner than others. The thinner it is, the more loss per linear foot it will have, so I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than RG-59, unless it's like a patch cable that's only a few feet long.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

In my limited experience I've found the term "coax" to refer to an RG-6/59 style cable with an insulator/dielectric of a specified size between the conductor and shield (of course coaxial) to create particular electromagnetic properties, usually with F-connectors.

I'm referring to the basic cables with RCA connectors you can buy at a regular store, which do not have any particular specifications regarding construction or electromagnetic properties. With the cheap short ones (often called patch cables) the video and audio cables appear identical, but there are longer and thicker ones that I assume do have a coaxial shield, but I've never heard them referred to as coax. I have several in the 10 to 15 feet range that I have used with no noticeable signal degradation, and even strung a couple together on occasion as well. But not sure what the typical accepted maximum run is for them. RG cable is just a pain to work when laying out temporary runs.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I went ahead and got a converter directly from Sewell, http://sewelldirect.com/pc-to-tv-adapter.asp. Sewell is located in Utah (so one day shipping to my location, or I can drive down and pick it up), has same day shipping, an excellent return policy, and real tech support people readily available. Happy to have discovered them, thanks. I will be working with them on an HDMI solution for within the building and post if I do something.

I do with there were a Fry's here in Utah though.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Should this topic have gone under Broadcasts and Conferences? Feel free to move it if so.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Got the converter and tried it out. The quality is poorer than expected but probably normal for what it is. It's no better than just filming the screen with the camera (EVI-D70). The biggest problem was the aspect ratio; even with a 4:3 input I had to set the projector to 16:9 for it to display properly. So switching between it and the camera wasn't convenient.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:The quality is poorer than expected but probably normal for what it is.
Back in the day, composite wasn't good enough for a 80 character screen. You had to use something like a Hercules monochrome or CGA to get 80 column text. Today, we cringe at 80 column screens.

craiggsmith wrote:The biggest problem was the aspect ratio; even with a 4:3 input I had to set the projector to 16:9 for it to display properly.
That's interesting. Was the computer also connected to a 16:9 display so the computer output was 4:3 displayed on a 16:9 screen rather than a true 4:3? If so, then perhaps a different computer or video driver can change that. Or perhaps set the VGA output as a second monitor - that should allow you to set it to a different resolution. The laptop screen is the "control' for the slide show.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

russellhltn wrote:
craiggsmith wrote:The biggest problem was the aspect ratio; even with a 4:3 input I had to set the projector to 16:9 for it to display properly.
That's interesting. Was the computer also connected to a 16:9 display so the computer output was 4:3 displayed on a 16:9 screen rather than a true 4:3? If so, then perhaps a different computer or video driver can change that. Or perhaps set the VGA output as a second monitor - that should allow you to set it to a different resolution. The laptop screen is the "control' for the slide show.
I set the laptop to 1024x768, 4:3. It was only connected to the projector, although I think the monitor output of the projector is just a pass through. When we connected the composite output directly to a TV the aspect ratio was fine; it was only when we sent it through house video distribution system to the other projector that it was a problem. But I'll do some more testing.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:I set the laptop to 1024x768, 4:3.
And of course, the laptop is connected to it's own screen.

craiggsmith wrote:When we connected the composite output directly to a TV the aspect ratio was fine; it was only when we sent it through house video distribution system to the other projector that it was a problem.
That's puzzling. I'd wonder if the first time the laptop screen was turned off and the second time it was turned on. That can make a difference. If it's driving two different screens, it has to compromise.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Did more testing today ... and am now more confused than ever. I've used multiple monitors and projectors for many years but have never had so many problems getting something to cooperate.

One thing I discovered is each device is different. I tested 2 projectors and two TVs. The old projector we used to use displayed it fine. And the two TVs each handled the signal differently.

When I changed the laptop to dual-monitor mode I could get the display correct on the original projector. But once I did that I couldn't get the thing back to single monitor mode for further testing. I would turn it off in the display properties but then it would turn off the external monitor. When I re-enabled the external monitor but it would turn on extend mode again. And it kept changing the resolution. After a while my head started spinning so I came home.

I didn't test the configuration today that I had last week, with it connected to the projector first and then to a TV through the pass-through. So I'll go back up and test again. Given that most people want to see the presentation on the laptop screen, and that VGA is dying, I'm not sure it's worth pursuing, but I'll start another thread about that.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”