iPhone App for MLS

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
cgerald

iPhone App for MLS

Post by cgerald »

is the church currently working on any app that would allow Members of the bishopric to View MLS from the iphone? i know there is a company that created LDS tools that preforms this task, but its more complicated than it should be. Is the Church going to go further with that application or and application like iward or istake and make it work without having to sync it through backups.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cgerald wrote:is the church currently working on any app that would allow Members of the bishopric to View MLS from the iphone? i know there is a company that created LDS tools that preforms this task, but its more complicated than it should be. Is the Church going to go further with that application or and application like iward or istake and make it work without having to sync it through backups.
I think you are referring to Ward Tools, not LDS Tools. Ward Tools was created by a separate company, and uses MLS exports as its data source; those exports are loaded into a desktop application and then synced with a handheld device. I'm guessing that's what you mean by "sync it through backups."

LDS Tools, on the other hand, is a mobile application that is created by the Church. It gets its data directly from web services hosted by the Church, and requires no export from MLS. Although LDS Tools does not currently provide all the information available on MLS, it does provide a lot of helpful information and is definitely a work in progress -- it will improve over time. One interesting development is that the developers of Ward Tools have given the source code to the Church, so it seems likely that some features of Ward Tools will eventually appear in LDS Tools.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

aebrown wrote:Ward Tools was created by a separate company...
True, but please note that it is now an open source project.

While LDS Tools is much easier to use as far as loading and updating of information (plus the calendar), Ward Tools does have a couple of advantages (currently). First, Home and Visiting Teaching information can be accessed, Second, the reporting is more robust with base and custom reports.

With that said, I know the LDS Tools team is continuing to implement features such as reports and calendar event editing.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”