Import calendars to facebook groups

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
nickallen100

Import calendars to facebook groups

Postby nickallen100 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Facebook has a lot of functionality that is useful for me interacting with the youth. Facebook groups is a great way to post questions and such as well as get friends involved in learning about activities for mutual. Is there a way to import an lds.org calendar into facebook groups without using my personal link? Also, the iCal app is tentative at best (used to import calendars into facebook groups). If I had the know how, I'd make my own fb app and manage things that way.

I am sure there are other lds.org features that would parlay nicely into a teachers quorum, or other youth facebook group. Duty to God, youth.lds.org videos, etc. come to mind.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:51 pm

An interesting idea, but I'm sure a major concern is restricting the calendars to members of the unit.

That was part of the training for the classic LUWS to not display Youth activities on the front page where anyone could see them.

Note that the new calendar does a much better job of syncing to personal calendars. I think it would be better to help them sync their calendars to their phones. That way the security is manged directly and automatically by the church.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

crislapi

Postby crislapi » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:28 pm

The policy letter can be found here. It's short and sweet.

Because you specifically mention mutual, it is also worthwhile to pull this excerpt from the online "quiz" ward website admins must go through before they are granted access to the admin options page:
Question 3:
How can the administrator help prevent the local unit Web site from being used inappropriately? (Choose the one that does NOT apply.)

a. Under the direction of the local priesthood leader, inform members of user guidelines and policies.
b. Do not show details about Young Men or Young Women activities on the home page.
c. Inform local priesthood leaders (or Church headquarters) of any misuses of information or sharing of access codes or passwords.
d. Inform priesthood leaders of any unusual or inappropriate submission requests.
e. Keep the Web site a secret from members or discourage its use. Correct Answer
If you selected an incorrect answer, you would receive the following Guideline:
All Internet users will be able to visit your stake or ward home page. You can help prevent inappropriate use of the Web site by making sure detailed information about youth activities do not appear on the home page. Do not include meeting times and locations in the title field of submitted events
emphasis added

davesudweeks

Postby davesudweeks » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:43 am

I have had (unfortunately) bad experience with grown children posting inappropriate information on Facebook after they have left home. As Facebook was just coming into the limelight during his at-home teenage years, we probably did not cover that aspect as well as we should have.

For some reason, many of our youth don't see the hazard of posting very confidential information on a "public" web site (yeah, you have some privacy controls IF you apply them, but...). I would advise extreme caution and to follow the Church policies in this regard "to the letter."

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”