Stake and Website Blog like feature?

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
crees
New Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:31 pm
Location: Tremonton Utah USA

Stake and Website Blog like feature?

Postby crees » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:45 am

I was approached by my Stake President to research or find a way for the Stake to write a journal like history of the stake and the events in a blog format. First question was if the Church had such a feature (this I think no?) and if not to suggest such a feature. Basically the "Stake Blog" would be for only those of who are members of the stake.

However I was pointed out by my Stake President that there is a Salt Lake City Stake that has an link pointing to a "Blog" for some scouting program. (from the stake and ward websites). I guest the question, If there is not an internal blog feature or no plans to have one, is there a "Church approved Blog" that can be used?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:00 am

crees wrote:I was approached by my Stake President to research or find a way for the Stake to write a journal like history of the stake and the events in a blog format. First question was if the Church had such a feature (this I think no?) and if not to suggest such a feature. Basically the "Stake Blog" would be for only those of who are members of the stake.


There is no such feature, but you are certainly welcome to suggest such a feature. You can use the Feedback link at the bottom of lds.org to make your suggestion.

crees wrote:However I was pointed out by my Stake President that there is a Salt Lake City Stake that has an link pointing to a "Blog" for some scouting program. (from the stake and ward websites). I guest the question, If there is not an internal blog feature or no plans to have one, is there a "Church approved Blog" that can be used?


Handbook 2, Section 21.1.22 says: "Stake and ward Web sites may be created only by using the official Church Internet resources. Stakes and wards are not authorized to create other Web sites or blogs or otherwise have a Church-sponsored presence on the Internet."

There is no Church-approved blog that would be an exception to this policy. Although there are many wards and stakes who disregard that counsel, that doesn't change the policy. There's a provision for requesting a specific exception for a site for specific other purposes from the Presidency of the Seventy or the Area Presidency, but I'm guessing the vast majority of the external sites sponsored by wards and stakes have not obtained that approval.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

pbhanney
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 6:07 pm
Location: Lehi, Utah, USA

Postby pbhanney » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:09 am

However, Handbook2, Section 21.1.22 also says: "Individual members may create Web sites or blogs or make use of other appropriate Internet resources in their Church callings, provided they include a disclaimer such as “This is not an official Web site of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” So, a ward or stake cannot create a blog, however, a YW President could create a blog about the YW in her ward as long as she has the disclaimer (I use YW only as an example, not to create a conversation of what information we could use with youth, etc. since that is a can of worms we don't need to open here).

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:37 pm

pbhanney wrote:However, Handbook2, Section 21.1.22 also says: "Individual members may create Web sites or blogs or make use of other appropriate Internet resources in their Church callings, provided they include a disclaimer such as “This is not an official Web site of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” So, a ward or stake cannot create a blog, however, a YW President could create a blog about the YW in her ward as long as she has the disclaimer (I use YW only as an example, not to create a conversation of what information we could use with youth, etc. since that is a can of worms we don't need to open here).
You are correct that individuals can use the Internet in their Church callings. We must, however, ensure that the full content of the Members' Use of the Internet section of Chapter 21.1.22 is complied with. The disclaimer is only one of six guidelines. The other five are listed below the first paragraph.

Since this thread is about a stake blog it is important to note item 3 of the list which says, "Members should not state or imply that their Web site or activities are sponsored or endorsed by the Church". There needs to be careful consideration about how the blog is titled, use of a unit name, and any other connection to the unit involved lest there be an implied sponsorship or endorsement by the Church.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

User avatar
jeffvand
New Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Arlington, Texas

Postby jeffvand » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:30 pm

I would love to build something like this for the church to be used by stakes and wards around the world. I am a website developer that works for UNC-CH and build them up a service (web.unc.edu) with Wordpress Multi-Site that allows anyone with an campus ID (I'm sure we could integrate the LDS Accounts) to create sites. It scales to millions of sites easily. Our's was built last year and has over 1200 sites. It uses open source technology, is relatively cheap to maintain, and has a ton of features. Wordpress Multi-Site is very flexible and would really allow folks to create blogs, but have a super-admin oversight on it.

If only there were a church service mission for this... I'd be in heaven. :)


Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest