Saliva Free Sacrament Trays

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
danpass

Post by danpass »

Make the trays with disposal slots on the sides and/or ends of the tray body, and no disposal trough on the top. The tray body would probably need to be deeper in order to allow space for discarded cups and a little spilled water to accumulate below the level of the side disposal slots.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

techgy wrote:How about two trays. One containing the sacrament and another for the trash.

We used to do it this way. The water tray went down the row, followed by a small wicker basket used to collect the cups afterward.

You would have to be nearly as old as I am to remember this, though.
davidtheweb

Post by davidtheweb »

Perhaps a tray could be designed with rounded ends instead of straight ends? The rounded ends could be left open in order to facilitate easier placement of the empty cup into it, lessening the chance of contact with filled cups.

Looking from the top, the tray wouldn't look like a rectangle, but more like a capsule with uncovered ends. (From the top. From the bottom, it'd just look like a capsule.)
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

I can't tell you how many times I have seen, especially children, dumping the rest of their water and cup into the tray. I always have the thought that it would be a good topic to discuss with the primary children of the proper way of depositing their cup, whether totally empty or not, with the bottom facing downward.

Also, I see a lot of children, as well as adults, taking the sacrament with their left hand. I was always taught you should use your right hand, unless you have a medical issue which prevents you from doing so. I've always thought that should be taught in primary as well. It wouldn't hurt to discuss these 2 issues with adults either!

Just my thoughts.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

margiestroble wrote:I see a lot of children, as well as adults, taking the sacrament with their left hand. I was always taught you should use your right hand, unless you have a medical issue which prevents you from doing so. I've always thought that should be taught in primary as well.

I'm unaware of anything authoritative on that issue. Unless something can be found, I wouldn't advocate teaching it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

Oh, maybe it was just the thoughts of a leader or teacher when I was growing up that told us that then. Should I delete that post then if it really isn't correct?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

No need to delete the post. The forums are for discussing issues. In this case no harm is done. We do not want to stifle constructive discussions. Correcting misperceptions is beneficial. In fact there may be others out there that may be prompted to bring up the points discussed with their leaders.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

jdlessley wrote:No need to delete the post. The forums are for discussing issues. In this case no harm is done. We do not want to stifle constructive discussions. Correcting misperceptions is beneficial. In fact there may be others out there that may be prompted to bring up the points discussed with their leaders.
Ok, thank you. I will leave it as is then.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I also seem to recall, some 30 years ago when I was new to the Aaronic Priesthood, special emphasis on using the right hand when passing or receiving the sacrament. My mother-in-law remembers that Deacons would hold their left hands behind their backs with the elbows at a 90-degree angle. But the new Handbook 2 says:

The passing of the sacrament should be natural and unobtrusive, not rigid or overly formal. Those who pass the sacrament should not be required to assume any special posture or action, such as holding the left hand behind the back. The process of passing the sacrament should not call attention to itself or detract from the purpose of the ordinance.
So it's understandable that some of us still think there's something special about using the right hand. In fact, in the March 1983 issue of the Ensign, in the "I have a question" section, someone asked: "Is it necessary to take the sacrament with one's right hand? Does it really make any difference which hand is used?" The response from Russell M. Nelson, who was not yet an Apostle, is much longer than I think it needs to be. The bottom line appears to be that it doesn't matter but his answer seems to imply that, for him personally, it's significant. So the answer does NOT serve to clarify the issue (in my own opinion, of course). Read it for yourself. It's the second question.

http://lds.org/ensign/1983/03/i-have-a- ... n?lang=eng

Recently, a sacrament tray was passed my way and, out of habit, I grabbed the cup with my right hand although it was a very awkward angle. I ended up spilling the entire cup of water on my shirt and I was quite annoyed. From that point onward I've wanted to shout "It doesn't matter!" I certainly will NOT be teaching any young people to make an issue out of it. Besides, I'm left-handed anyway. And I don't like this trait to be linked to the word "sinister" in the Ensign.

So, in conclusion, I choose to look towards the current handbook rather than something which was published in 1983.

[END soapbox mode.]
davidtheweb

Post by davidtheweb »

This topic seems to be rolling. I had a thought; what if I bought a 3D printer, the kind that uses special plastic resins from which you can design and 'print out' your own creations? Think we could get a tray designed and created from that? :cool:

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”