Better preservation for records.

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
JosephKemper

Better preservation for records.

Post by JosephKemper »

I had an idea to help the church better preserve its records.
Use plastic to create a paper like substance.

Plastic lasts an incredibly long time and you might even be able to use recycled plastic to create the product.

Plastic is also a very malleable substance. I have seen pillows made from recycled plastic.

So why can't make a paper like substance?
The only question is will the plastic retain its durability in the process of creating the paper like substance?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JosephKemper wrote:I had an idea to help the church better preserve its records.
What kind of records are you thinking about? The bulk of the paper it uses goes to the shredder after a fairly short lifetime. The few long-term things I can think of tend to be stored digitally. (A whole separate topic.)

Of course that overlooks the fact that the church is unlikely to be engaging in any material science for it's needs. If someone comes up with a paper that better meets their needs, they'll buy it. But the church did not invent nor develop the pen, paper, computer, microfilm, satellites, the Internet, vBulletin or any other technologies we now enjoy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JosephKemper

Post by JosephKemper »

There was a podcast that I had listened to off of the Mormon Channel where they interviewed some one that works in the Church's record and history department. In that interview they ended up discussing some of the difficulties that exist in preserving the Church's records, and especially the limitations of using paper because of how quickly it decomposes compared to older (and bulkier) means of keeping records.

After I heard that podcast I got to thinking and thus spawned the idea that I posted here. Plastic is supposed to take thousands of years to decompose. Whereas paper takes hundreds, at best.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

Finally a use for those Walmart bags.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JosephKemper wrote:In that interview they ended up discussing some of the difficulties that exist in preserving the Church's records, and especially the limitations of using paper because of how quickly it decomposes compared to older (and bulkier) means of keeping records.

I'd have to know more about the context of the situation. I'm sure the church can buy paper that suits it's needs. So for record that they know they want to keep for a long time, that's not a issue.

I suspect the real issue is that what they choose to preserve was committed to paper by someone else using whatever happened to be in the printer at the time. Things like deeds, newspapers, birth certificates, etc.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”