MLS a Web-app? (Over crowded Clerk's Office)

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
littlejmichael

I think this is a great Idea

Post by littlejmichael »

Our clerks office is properly monitored and protected from those that shouldn't be in there, but to have a secure site where leaders could enter in HT/VT print out reports and new home teaching lists or even a site where the Home teachers of Visiting teachers could report their own would be awsome.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

littlejmichael wrote:Our clerks office is properly monitored and protected from those that shouldn't be in there, but to have a secure site where leaders could enter in HT/VT print out reports and new home teaching lists or even a site where the Home teachers of Visiting teachers could report their own would be awsome.
Your voice can be added to the long list of others. The most recent behind yours can be found in the Home and Visiting Teachers thread. There are many other threads along the same topic.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sammythesm

Not sure this adds anything...

Post by sammythesm »

Not sure this adds anything, but I know how you feel with the clerk's office turning into grand central station. We don't struggle so much with the computer being the focal point. As exec sec, I do all my (and bishop's) to-dos during the week so that I can just focus on things people 'need' on Sunday (quick lists or records printed out). We have great auxiliary heads who've learned not to input HT/VT on Sunday. I let the finance clerk have first crack since his work HAS to be done at the church, and I try to enforce and protect his priority access.

What we really struggle with is Bishopric and Clerks (and their families) considering the Clerk's office their own personal lounge. We have a relatively large clerk's office and it's routinely used to store bags, car seats, and crying children. Since we also have 3 wards and a branch in our building, there is never an extra room to do all the settings apart, callings, interviews, etc - so we are routinely booted.

I can get over all that. The one thing I can't get over is when a teacher comes into the Clerk's office RIGHT before class starts and insits they need an Ensign article printed immediately (and copies for the whole class). I had people doing that for weeks on end for various quorums and auxiliaries. Thankfully, it's died down now (maybe because of the nasty looks I started giving).

If you're feeling like it's out of hand, bring it up in Bishopric meeting and then in Ward Council. Find a way, as others have suggested, to help others with their calling or encourage them to attend classes instead of being in the race to the computer.

I know how you feel about wanting the MLS WebApp. While we are getting there with the 'view' capabilities, we are still a long way off on 'edit' capabilities. I'm so encouraged by last year's progress, though, that I can't wait to see what shows up next. 2011 will be an exciting year for LDS.org.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”