Google Map Ward Boundaries

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
Jamis-p40

Google Map Ward Boundaries

Post by Jamis-p40 »

I recently moved to San Antonio for an Internship, and thus tried finding the correct Ward to attend. After entering my address on mormon.org to locate a worship service, I was presented with at least a dozen options. There was no indication whatsoever of which ward I should in fact attend. We had to go to a ward we randomly picked, and have the bishop tell us we were in a different stake.

Here's the suggestion:
Wouldn't it be great if you could type in your address and use google map (or something like that) to tell you what ward's boundaries you live in? Or have google map display in shaded areas all of the ward boundaries for your stake? It doesn't seem like that complicated of technology if you consider that google already uses the trip planning so well.

Then it would also highlight your building address, and meeting times.

Additionally, if there were a need for privacy, you could make this restricted to registered members of LDS.org.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

This is indeed a great suggestion, and it's actually not first time it has been suggested on this site. I believe the Church has said they are working on an updated version of the Ward Map software. It would definitely be great if something like this could be included.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

The previous topic that Mike was mentioning was [thread=37]Meeting House Locator[/thread] which went over some attempts into doing this and the update that the church is trying to get this figured out.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Jamis wrote:After entering my address on mormon.org to locate a worship service, I was presented with at least a dozen options. There was no indication whatsoever of which ward I should in fact attend.
Sounds like the program wasn't able to work out your location. If I enter my address, I'm given my ward's information. Even though there's 3 wards that meet in that building. Just for kicks, I made up a street address. It matched me to a ward based on the zip code. But it did tell me in red print, it couldn't figure out my street address. The bad news is the ward it matched me to is a single/student ward. I wouldn't consider that acceptable as the only match since it's a student branch.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Jamis wrote:I recently moved to San Antonio for an Internship, and thus tried finding the correct Ward to attend. After entering my address on mormon.org to locate a worship service, I was presented with at least a dozen options. There was no indication whatsoever of which ward I should in fact attend. We had to go to a ward we randomly picked, and have the bishop tell us we were in a different stake.

Here's the suggestion:
Wouldn't it be great if you could type in your address and use google map (or something like that) to tell you what ward's boundaries you live in? Or have google map display in shaded areas all of the ward boundaries for your stake? It doesn't seem like that complicated of technology if you consider that google already uses the trip planning so well.

Then it would also highlight your building address, and meeting times.

Additionally, if there were a need for privacy, you could make this restricted to registered members of LDS.org.
There is a project under way at the Church to more accurately perform mapping and other GEO functions for various Church projects.

Tom
Tremmorkeep-p40

Meetinghouse locator

Post by Tremmorkeep-p40 »

I have it on good authority (VERY GOOD) that this is coming....promise....

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”