We Need a Comprehensive LDS Scouting Manual

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
NoahVail

Post by NoahVail »

lajackson wrote:It appears then, that you have done all you can do, because you have already been to the stake presidency.

And now, you have the challenge of supporting your priesthood leaders as best you can. It will not be easy. You will be blessed for doing it.

I have been there. Stay in tune with the Spirit and do the best you are able to do under the circumstances.

I appreciate your attention and advice. It did help me get a better understanding of my place in things. I can say I did follow your advice.

There are indications that I'm nearing the end of my tenure. 3 years ago I had pulled my own boys in from a functioning non-Church unit. I believed I would be a part of finally turning things around. I couldn't contribute to both units, so I made a choice.

3 years later and we're no closer. I was assured we were a week or two away from solving our issues the entire time. Unfortunately my sons haven't advanced since I brought them here. I can function within a functional unit, but I'll never be Super Scout Leader, One Man Show. I just don't have what it takes to do that.

I'm owning up to the fact that my own sons aren't going to be Eagles. It really is too late, now. I kept believing that I just needed to try a different approach or work a little harder. I don't think I've been thinking clearly.

I really thought that if we could turn the YM program and Scouting around, I could serve my sons and the other YM at the same time. What I really did was gamble this part of their future away, and that's on me. My regret is tremendous. It looks like another calling at the expense of family story.

I hope I learn some wisdom from this. Right now it looks like me and wisdom aren't even on talking terms.

Despite any self-pity, I do feel a some weight lifted off. I think you've done me some good and I'm grateful.

NV
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

It's interesting that I've often felt the Church needed to give less instruction on scouting. The BSA does a really good job of training leaders and has a great program set up. Leaders at all levels--scoutmaster, committee members, and charter representatives--ought to be taking all the basic training the BSA offers. If they would to that much, they might change their attitude quite a bit.
dpenrod75

Well said..

Post by dpenrod75 »

nutterb wrote:It's interesting that I've often felt the Church needed to give less instruction on scouting. The BSA does a really good job of training leaders and has a great program set up. Leaders at all levels--scoutmaster, committee members, and charter representatives--ought to be taking all the basic training the BSA offers. If they would to that much, they might change their attitude quite a bit.

I couldn't agree more with this. I find that new leaders to the scouting program in the church automatically assume that the differences between the BSA and LDS run charters are beyond clarification. The church as a whole has specific policies regarding the Cub Scout and Boy Scout programs, but so do Catholics, Methodist and any other chartered organization. All these LDS specific guidelines are found in the LDS Scout Handbook of Instructions and documents found on the LDS / BSA relations website.

So get BSA trained (fully trained) for your specific position. Read, read - READ! You won't comprehend everything over night! Then once you get a grasp on scouting in general, read the LDS Scout Handbook and read over the materials found on the LDS / BSA relations website. I think too many folks do it the other way around and get all confused. If you don't comprehend BSA scouting in general it will be really hard getting your head around LDS specific guidelines for scouting.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Sorry to resurrect and old thread. I came poking around to see if the 1997 version of the LDS Scouting Handbook was the most current.
NoahVail wrote:BTW, it bears mentioning that one of the comprehensive manuals listed on mormonscouting.com was assembled by consortium of (I think) 7 Stake Presidencies. Seven SPs felt there was a need for a comprehensive scouting manual; and coordinated to produce one.
This sounds like the Area Relationships Committees described on page 1 of the LDS Scouting Handbook. I'm finding several other things in that handbook that might be helpful in helping us get our scouting program back on track.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jbh001 wrote:Sorry to resurrect and old thread. I came poking around to see if the 1997 version of the LDS Scouting Handbook was the most current.

It is. A lot has changed since then, but much of that handbook is still good.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”