64-bits vs 32-bits

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Well I think that the move to 64-bit will be more driven by the gaming industry than any other. But they don't want to move until the hardware is there to support so in the end the chip manufacturers will just have to drop 32-bit and then in about 8-10 years everyone will have 64-bit machines.
- David
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

thedqs wrote:...and then in about 8-10 years everyone will have 64-bit machines.
MUCH sonner than that. I still hold to my comment about almost not being able to find a 32-bit processor anymore. Go to http://www.newegg.com/ and you will find that they sell 119 AMD 64-bit processors, 99 Intel 64-bit processors, and only 19 Intel 32-bit processors. And I bet you almost every single brand-new computer you buy from now on has a 64-bit processor.

I think the chip makers are literally forcing 64-bit onto the market.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

mkmurray wrote:MUCH sonner than that. I still hold to my comment about almost not being able to find a 32-bit processor anymore. Go to http://www.newegg.com/ and you will find that they sell 119 AMD 64-bit processors, 99 Intel 64-bit processors, and only 19 Intel 32-bit processors. And I bet you almost every single brand-new computer you buy from now on has a 64-bit processor.

But, in case anyone forgot, the AMD64 processors sold by AMD and Intel can be treated as if they are 32-bit. They work as either. Also, with some operating systems, you can run a 64-bit OS and run any mix of 32-bit and 64-bit applications you please.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:chip manufacturers will just have to drop 32-bit and then in about 8-10 years everyone will have 64-bit machines.
Unless I'm reading something wrong, the P4 is a 64 bit CPU. How common is the PIII today?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

RussellHltn wrote:Unless I'm reading something wrong, the P4 is a 64 bit CPU. How common is the PIII today?
Not all Pentium 4 processors in circulation have 64-bit capability. The early ones definitely did not. It wasn't until some time around 2005 (give or take a year or two) that Intel started producing AMD64/EMT64 chips.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hmmmm. I wonder at what point they stopped making 32 bit altogether? Since most machines turn over in a something like a 5 year cycle, it won't be that much longer before only old machines will be 32 bit.

I suspect most people upgrade their OS with new machines anyway. I think it's more of an issue with compatibility with 32-bit apps and no killer 64 apps that's keeping the 64bit OS from going anywhere.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

mkmurray wrote:MUCH sonner than that. I still hold to my comment about almost not being able to find a 32-bit processor anymore. Go to http://www.newegg.com/ and you will find that they sell 119 AMD 64-bit processors, 99 Intel 64-bit processors, and only 19 Intel 32-bit processors. And I bet you almost every single brand-new computer you buy from now on has a 64-bit processor.

I said 8-10 becuase that is my family's computer update cycle so in 2013 is when I will get a new processor and then the old comp goes to the next family member so 32-bit comps will still be around for awhile. (Actually I still have a 16-bit 8086 that I use every once and awhile).
- David
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:Hmmmm. I wonder at what point they stopped making 32 bit altogether? Since most machines turn over in a something like a 5 year cycle, it won't be that much longer before only old machines will be 32 bit.

I suspect most people upgrade their OS with new machines anyway. I think it's more of an issue with compatibility with 32-bit apps and no killer 64 apps that's keeping the 64bit OS from going anywhere.

I believe they have completely stopped the 32-bit only processors. It is only time before everyone has 64-bit machines. I think that they have dropped creation of 32-bit applications too from the major software houses or will shortly, 1 or 2 years.
- David
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

thedqs wrote:I said 8-10 becuase that is my family's computer update cycle so in 2013 is when I will get a new processor and then the old comp goes to the next family member so 32-bit comps will still be around for awhile. (Actually I still have a 16-bit 8086 that I use every once and awhile).
I think your family's average life cycle is a bit higher than the national average then.
blackrg

Post by blackrg »

thedqs wrote:And even though you might know never to do "rm -rf /" as root the current setup seems to have everyone log in with root privileges and I fear what a naive clerk might do with all that power.

My favorite quote, "Linux is great, like C is great, useful, powerful and can blow your leg off."

I like that. Haven't heard it before. I had always maintained that C gave you as much rope as you wanted - to either save yourself or hang yourself. I think I'd have to agree that Linux is pretty much the same way.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”