Is the church thinking globally for mobile library?

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
TechnoBabel-p40

Post by TechnoBabel-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote: I'm not sure where you get that idea. Look at the list of Community Projects underway. There are half a dozen platforms being worked on. Apple may be first, but it's by no means the only platform.

I guess I'm thinking of the LDS Radio and Gospel Library. Both are completely worthless to me. I'm just disappointed and maybe even a bit annoyed.

Thanks for the tip on Reveal Reader, Brad. That was exactly what I was looking for. They need to rename it to LDS Reveal Reader or something more "revealing." Get it?

TB
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TechnoBabel wrote:I guess I'm thinking of the LDS Radio and Gospel Library. Both are completely worthless to me. I'm just disappointed and maybe even a bit annoyed.
You've never mentioned what platform you prefer, but the Mormon Channel (which I assume is what you mean by "LDS Radio") and Gospel Library both have development underway for:
  • iPhone
  • Windows Mobile
  • BlackBerry
  • Palm Pre
  • Android
  • Kindle (Gospel Library only)
Are you saying that none of these 5-6 platforms is of any value to you, or just that you are annoyed that iPhone was completed first?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
epage

Post by epage »

RussellHltn wrote:Following the guidelines found in the Wiki, then I'd suggest you contact TomW
Done, emailed him before I made that first post of mine.
TechnoBabel-p40

Post by TechnoBabel-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:You've never mentioned what platform you prefer, but the Mormon Channel (which I assume is what you mean by "LDS Radio") and Gospel Library both have development underway for:
  • iPhone
  • Windows Mobile
  • BlackBerry
  • Palm Pre
  • Android
  • Kindle (Gospel Library only)
Are you saying that none of these 5-6 platforms is of any value to you, or just that you are annoyed that iPhone was completed first?

I have an Android phone and I can't wait to see those two applications released for my phone.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Brad O. wrote:I sure wish the Church would evaluate it and post something about it on lds.org to alert people who are unaware (it took me awhile to find it.)
I can't remember how I found it. I do a search of "Market" from time to time with "LDS" as a search term.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

I think it is worth for us to remember again what Russell pointed out:
These applications are mainly developed through the "Community" of volunteers from the church rather than church employees.

For this reason these applications come out on platforms where the support from us (the members) is strongest. Lets think of it as a great thing to have (but not essential).

I think the community development program is so great because it allows the church to concentrate their employed resources on "more pressing issues".

I don't buy Apple products either but I think it can only be a good thing for an application to come as soon as it is ready (rather than wait) as this will hopefully also inspire people on other platforms to come forward and help out with the development of applications for those platforms.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dkjorgi wrote:For this reason these applications come out on platforms where the support from us (the members) is strongest.
The downside is that the support is probably strongest for the platforms "the geeks" use. Not necessarily the platform most used by the members.

But the finger shouldn't be pointed at "the church". But though persuasion and long-suffering ask the community to support the "lesser" platforms. In time, I think it will happen. But these other platforms are not likely be on the leading edge of development.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”