iPad friendly Church websites and content

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
jbh001

iPad ready

Post by jbh001 »

I guess the term that is emerging for this is "iPad ready" instead of "iPad friendly." In that case, I'd like to see lds.org be among the sites that is iPad ready. It would be nice if new.FamliySearch.org became iPad ready too.

(Hey, I can wish, can't I?)
jbh001

iPad streaming video

Post by jbh001 »

It would also be nice to be able to stream General Conference and other church video content to the iPad, possibly like ABC & NetFlix are doing (with a dedicated app), and/or ABC, CBS and others are planning via HTML 5.
jvoracek

Post by jvoracek »

As a participant of the W3C's HTML Working Group, I can assure you that it would be simple to implement an HTML 5 video player on LDS.org for streaming video if the church wishes to have LDS.org be "iPad Ready". My only concern is that not all web browsers support the latest draft of HTML 5, therefore it may cause some confusion for people who are unable to stream HTML 5 video. I believe only Safari, Opera, and Chrome support the HTML 5 video function.

It would also be possible to stream audio via HTML 5, however that may not be necessary since the Mormon Channel iPhone app is compatible with the iPad.

You may take a look at the latest HTML 5 draft here: http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/

My hope is that in the near future the HTML 5 video streaming function may be able to stream live video as well, therefore iPad users could watch conference live from the convenience of their iPad.
Jace Voracek
Jace@Jace-Place.com
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

LEGENDARYMEMBER wrote:I believe only Safari, Opera, and Chrome support the HTML 5 video function.
I did see Internet Explorer 9 at the MIX '10 conference, and they should have HTML 5 fully supported at release time. It looked like they were already well on their way in implementing it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

However, IE9 won't run in WinXP.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

LEGENDARYMEMBER wrote:...
I believe only Safari, Opera, and Chrome support the HTML 5 video function.
I have seen an announcement that Firefox 3.5 supported HTML 5. However, I'm not up on where Firefox 3.6.2 (or other versions) stand relative to the latest draft of HTML 5.
jvoracek

Post by jvoracek »

mkmurray wrote:I did see Internet Explorer 9 at the MIX '10 conference, and they should have HTML 5 fully supported at release time. It looked like they were already well on their way in implementing it.
Oh, that's excellent news! And as for Firefox, HTML 5 implementation is underway last time I checked, but my list is the current list of supported browsers. I suppose if LDS.org visitors have the latest browser upgrades in the near future, it would be fine to use a HTML 5 Video/Audio player as a substandard.
Jace Voracek
Jace@Jace-Place.com
jvoracek

Post by jvoracek »

dkjorgi wrote:Or if we are waiting for HTML 5 it might be year 2022 :-)

Isn't that when Ian Hickson said it would be complete?
Just for clarification, what Ian Hickson was referring to is the estimated date when HTML 5 will become the standard to the World Wide Web. HTML 5 is available now, however there is much more work to do in order for it to become fully functional/stable. Only bits are available for your disposal. Just like with HTML 4, we constantly are making updates and resolving bugs, and HTML 5 will function the same. Expect some major progress within the next year or two.
Jace Voracek
Jace@Jace-Place.com

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”