EPUB (industry-standard eBook format)

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
andrewjorgensen

EPUB (industry-standard eBook format)

Post by andrewjorgensen »

EPUB is the open, industry-standard format for eBooks.

EPUB is supported on all of Sony's Reader devices (including the older PRS-500 if you send it in for a firmware upgrade), the Barnes&Noble Nook, and almost all of the other available eBook readers. There are good epub readers for MacOS and iPhone (Stanza), Android (Aldiko), Windows (Adobe Digital Editions), and Linux (FBReader, Calibre). The only notable exception is Amazon's Kindle which supported the .mobi format already available. It's also possible that industry pressure could eventually force Amazon to support the format as well. Sony is moving their eBook Store entirely to epub next month.

EPUB is backed by the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF, the standards organization for the digital publishing industry). At it's core it's based on XHTML and CSS. It supports complex layouts, images, re-flowing (for different sized devices) and generally most of what HTML supports. It also supports font embedding, DRM (Adobe, but DRM would greatly limit which devices could be supported), and a real table of contents structure with parts, chapters, sections etc..

Supporting EPUB, even for something as complex as the scriptures, should be fairly easy since it's based on XHTML. An XSLT could be written to do most of the heavy-lifting from the XML or HTML used internally by the church.

Also according to this post: http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.ph ... =PRS-500#9 tomw owns a PRS-500. :)
Wegg-p40

Post by Wegg-p40 »

I would very much like the church to support the EPUB format.
ggoehring

Some LDS Scriptures Available Privately Until Church Completes EPUB Versions

Post by ggoehring »

I have created EPUB versions for the Old and New Testament, the Pearl of Great Price and The Book of Mormon. These versions include navigation links by Book, by Chapter. I am happy to share these as they were part of a personal endeavor to have them for my Sony PRS 500 Reader to make use of my commute time on public transportation in the DC area. You can access them at:

www.icentricity.net/My-eBooks.aspx
silid

Post by silid »

I would be a big fan of this. As I have advocated elsewhere we should support established open standards first and build custom apps second.
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

Wegg, this is coming very quickly :)
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

The Book of Mormon and Holy Bible are now available in ePub format.

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Gos ... y_for_ePub
ggoehring

Sony Reader and EPUB Scriptures

Post by ggoehring »

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”