Urgent Tasks

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Alan_Brown wrote:However, this is all independent of the Urgent Task issue. In fact, I just tested this again, and even though I made the required backup, when I logged back in to MLS less than a minute after making a backup, there was still an urgent task: MLS has not been backed up recently. I have seen this on my real stake MLS installation many times, and it is consistently reproducible with the test database as well. So although it's certainly interesting that there are some people who do not see this behavior, I think it's pretty clear that there is a problem in this area, even if we don't know all the factors.
A bit more information: using the test database, no matter how many times I backup MLS during the logoff/exit process, the urgent task to backup is never cleared. Only if I explicitly backup MLS using File > Backup to a File does the urgent task finally go away. I don't know how much time must pass between backups for the urgent task to reappear.

I haven't tested this thoroughly on my real stake MLS installation, but I do know that we almost always have a Backup urgent task, even though I always backup after any financial data changes. We also almost always have a TR Activation Report urgent task, even though I always print the Activation Report after every set of activations. These two "urgent" tasks are the ones that are dulling my senses to respond to any truly urgent tasks. Occasionally I do a manual backup and also print the Activation Report just to get rid of the prompt.
jeromer7

TR Activation Report

Post by jeromer7 »

Alan_Brown wrote: We also almost always have a TR Activation Report urgent task, even though I always print the Activation Report after every set of activations.
in my experience on the Stake MLS, I only see the TR Activation Report urgent task the first time I start MLS after the first of the month. I print a copy at that time, the task goes away and appears again after the start of the next month. I do not print the report during the month.
JLR
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JLRose wrote:in my experience on the Stake MLS, I only see the TR Activation Report urgent task the first time I start MLS after the first of the month. I print a copy at that time, the task goes away and appears again after the start of the next month. I do not print the report during the month.
There's certainly a variety of ways in which stakes can handle this. My point is that the urgent task may appear a day after I printed the report, which makes MLS look rather ignorant in this regard. It should only remind clerks to do things that haven't been done recently. Bogus reminders lessen the importance of all reminders, including the real important reminders.
lrtmerriman

Post by lrtmerriman »

Thanks for all of the comments, maybe it is just something about the way our stake set up the computers but we are on the current version of mls and it has been prompting us to send changes for some time.

Good comments on the finance backup but yes, I do 2 backups (one on site, one I take home) after each finance transaction and we do get a finance transmission report each time.

I may try the unit refresh.
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

Alan_Brown wrote:My point is that the urgent task may appear a day after I printed the report, which makes MLS look rather ignorant in this regard. It should only remind clerks to do things that haven't been done recently. Bogus reminders lessen the importance of all reminders, including the real important reminders.
I agree with your position. I was just giving a different example of what happens when the report is only printed once a month in response to the reminder. In my case, the reminder is obviously triggered by the turn of the calendar to a new month and has nothing to do with my printing of the report. Your experience is different and it's useful to have identified that there is something different going on. If the developer's choose to look into the matter, they have more information to work with.
JLR

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”