IPhone Membership Tools

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

zaneclark wrote:I am using my Mac to try to upload the MLS files to Ward Tools on my iPhone. Here is the problem: I was able to convert all 4 files from csv to pdb easily, but when I try to use Ward Tools Updater, the pdb files now residing in my documents folder stay greyed out when I select them. I suspect this is a very basic problem that could be easily solved if I just hit the right key combination. Any Mac people with an idea of what I need to do?

I'm not one of those people, but I can suggest that you be careful that your wireless is on, and that you follow all the steps documented on the Ward Tools site.

You might find more knowledgeable help at the Ward Tools forum. It is moderated, so posts there don't appear immediately.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I was finally able to get most of the files uploaded to my iPhone but I have now found another problem. With about a third of the names, when I try to check the extended information such as member number, it crashes and I have to restart the program. I checked the csv file and the names that work and those that crash the program seem to be entered identically. (I have posted this to the Ward Tools Google Group, but I have been spoiled by LDS TECH where answers to problems can come within minutes and the Google group seems to take several days.)
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Have tried rebooting your iPhone? To do this, you have to completely turn the iPhone off and the turn it back on.

Turn iPhone completely off:
Press and hold Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then drag the slider. When iPhone is off, incoming calls go straight to voicemail.

Turn iPhone on:
Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't work, I would try deleting the app, reboot the iPhone, reinstall the app, followed by another reboot just to make things as fresh and pristine as possible.

I don't know if this work around is still necessary, but here is how I finally got Ward Tools to work on my iPhone:

Just to make them easier to find, move the exported .csv files into the same folder as the MLS Converter and Ward Tools Updater utilities.

Using a simple text editor, not a word processor, open the Membership.csv file. In the first line it has "Ward Geo Code" and "Stake Geo Code." Change the "Geo" in each of these to "GEO" (i.e. all caps) and then save the file.

(I used the TextEdit.app on the Mac to do this. If you use NotePad or WordPad in Windows to do this, make sure it gets saved as a .csv file and not a .txt or some other type of file.)

Open the MLS Converter app and point it (using the Browse button) at the Membership.csv file you just edited. The converter should now be able to convert the files.

After converting the .csv files, run the Ward Tools Updater app, and follow its instructions to upload the newly created .pdb files to your iPhone.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

jbh001 wrote:I don't know if this work around is still necessary, but here is how I finally got Ward Tools to work on my iPhone: ...

Using a simple text editor, not a word processor, open the Membership.csv file. In the first line it has "Ward Geo Code" and "Stake Geo Code." Change the "Geo" in each of these to "GEO" (i.e. all caps) and then save the file.

That workaraound has not been needed for some time now. The most recent version of Ward Tools includes an updated conversion utility that accommodates the new "GEO" to "Geo" format change in the MLS export. (See comments and links upthread.)

Just make sure you download and install the most recent version of Ward Tools, and that problem is solved.

That is not zaneclark's problem, however. His conversion process on the computer worked fine. It is the iPhone app itself that is failing.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

zaneclark wrote:(I have posted this to the Ward Tools Google Group, but I have been spoiled by LDS TECH where answers to problems can come within minutes and the Google group seems to take several days.)
The Ward Tools Google Group has added 3 more moderators and already the difference is evident. Queries are now posted within the hour, at least so far today. Thank you Boomer and Mike for volunteering for this...
brent-p40

Please Help!

Post by brent-p40 »

I have tried to use the Ward Tools program for the ipod, but cannot get the MLS converter program to work. Everytime I try to convert a .csv file the program crashes.

I have read a lot about the known issues, (GEO code, and preferred name) and have made the GEO code change in a txt editor, with no success. I also have looked at the data and preferred name is in the data, so I'm not sure what the issue is...

can anyone try converting the file for me?

Please help...

Thanks, Brent
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

brent wrote:I have tried to use the Ward Tools program for the ipod, but cannot get the MLS converter program to work. Everytime I try to convert a .csv file the program crashes.

I have read a lot about the known issues, (GEO code, and preferred name) and have made the GEO code change in a txt editor, with no success. I also have looked at the data and preferred name is in the data, so I'm not sure what the issue is...

Brent,

Welcome to the forum. You might have better luck getting help at the Ward Tools support group.

Make sure you post details of your symptoms. Are you using export files from ward MLS or stake MLS?

BTW, There are no longer any issues with the "GEO Code" file header, so long as you are using the latest version of Ward Tools and its conversion programs. The latest version is v 2.0.4

p.s. I don't hink anyone can try converting your data for you, because your file content is confidential. That's one of the difficulties diagnosing problems with the MLS export data.
ihenpecked

Big fan of iStake

Post by ihenpecked »

This program has worked seamlessly for me. After one initial download, I have info from entire stake on iPod Touch. Very impressed so far. I love how it will automatically map contacts for me.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”