Rebuilding stake and ward websites

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dkjorgi wrote:I see the need to create a 3rd application to focus mostly on serving the need of the individual member in his/her pursuit of serving in the church and in the home.
What complicates that view is the details of the assignments can vary depending on the local unit and the skill the different people bring to the calling. To cite one example I know of, in some wards the Bishop runs off the reports he needs. In others it's the Executive Secretary, Ward Clerk or even Membership Clerk. It's a local decision.

Allowing anyone to do it can lead to problems. So right off you may need a admin level thing that decides who is allowed to do what. Because what works for your ward may not work for the ward that shares your building, much less one in another country.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Kaz-p40

Post by Kaz-p40 »

Being able to view only information that relates only to one person sounds like a good idea of separating relevant information from irrelevant information, but this could be an inconvenience in a situation where a person needs to know what time a meeting starts and that person does not have internet access and cannot phone anyone who knows and can only phone people with access to the ward website. If that person can only view information that is relevant to them, then that person could not know the time of when that meeting were to occur. This scenario most likely does not occur often because the church usually uses paper to distribute information, but if the church were to transition to the internet, then that scenario would most likely occur more regularly. I think you guys should focus on the users. It seems to make sense to do that because if there weren't any users, then I think you would be doing something else. Other than that, I like the concept of being able to view my church records on the internet. The system would need to be very secure though.
Kaz
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

RussellHltn wrote:What complicates that view is the details of the assignments can vary depending on the local unit and the skill the different people bring to the calling. To cite one example I know of, in some wards the Bishop runs off the reports he needs. In others it's the Executive Secretary, Ward Clerk or even Membership Clerk. It's a local decision.

Allowing anyone to do it can lead to problems. So right off you may need a admin level thing that decides who is allowed to do what. Because what works for your ward may not work for the ward that shares your building, much less one in another country.
Yes it will very much be a crucial part of the system to have an admin leveling functionality.
At first I had only thought about letting things like this ("print reports", do lesson schedules etc) cascade up the organisation ladder when not all callings are filled but then a friend pointed out the same as what you have just said so admin system can show who is allowed to do it and then it can specificed who in this local unit has actually been assigned to do it.
Kaz wrote: This scenario most likely does not occur often because the church usually uses paper to distribute information, but if the church were to transition to the internet, then that scenario would most likely occur more regularly. I think you guys should focus on the users. It seems to make sense to do that because if there weren't any users, then I think you would be doing something else. Other than that, I like the concept of being able to view my church records on the internet. The system would need to be very secure though.
Kaz, you have a very valid point and one which must not be taken lightly. Whenever we create something like this we must always think about the people who do not have internet access and then make provision to ensure they are still updated about events and changes to events. BUT it is something which is very possible to built-in. I once had a very basic task system I kept on my webspace when I was BP. Some of the leaders liked technology so they wanted to update their progress on the task I had assigned them and it really helped me (and our exec sec) not having to chase them up. They actually got better of repoting back (and I can imagine BradO's HT/VT app might have same effect). But there was also some who it didnt appeal to so I just amended it to have a criteria of those who were not doing this and then I have created a report with their items listed plus their phone number and then I (or the exec sec) only had to phone them before meetings etc and the meeting itself ran much more effectively.

One of the keys to a successful leadership meeting is in the work and follow-up before and after the meeting.

I saw some suggestions regarding email alerts to let us know of changes to events if the weather changed. I thought about that and instantly smiled as I am sure such a time when the weather will cause us to cancel or change an event will first occur the night before or the morning of the same day and so close to the event I think email alert is pretty useless (unless it goes via SMS) as by far most people are not glued to their email 24/7. It just shows things like this needs to be thought through, not abandoned, just thought through. At all times we must ask ourselves if creating it will enhance the work of the Lord.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

It would be nice to be able to subscribe to LUWS calendars so that those that use Yahoo or MobileMe and such could get automatic updates to the ward calender instead of having to re-import it every time.
dochamilton-p40

A quick and insightful read

Post by dochamilton-p40 »

To all who have participated in this forum, starting with KAZ, great ideas. I didn't know this website existed. I have been thinking about a few applications:

For those of you familiar with the Perry Plan (Focus five), you know that it calls for visits and records of Focus people decided upon by the Ward Council for HP, EQ and RS.

The Ward Mission Leader (WML) is then called to administer the plan (follow-up on visits and collection of the appropriate teaching records as well as generating the weekly progress report).

If the teaching record is being kept by the HPs, EQ, and RS this information has to be transferred to the Ward mission area book, and that information has to transferred to the Full time Missionaries District books. Historically this has been accomplished through ALOT of photo copying.

In our ward we have begun to use a digital teaching record and weekly progress report, which we have made availible to the Bishop, HPs, EQ, and RS through use of a google group.

Thanks for your patients with the back story. . .here is the question. Can the concept of document sharing and collaboration be incorporated into an Offical church website, like the one being discussed here?

I think a calling based application would be a very necessary and profitable addition to any individual member application being developed. Councils, quorums and presidencies need the functionality that comes with access to necessary data, records, forms and forums. The idea of automatic and manual text messaging and email notifications would be useful.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Our ward youth use a google calendar. The YM leaders chose to split their posts by quorum, while the YW leaders did not. I select the calendars that I want to view. As my family includes primary, YW, YM, YSA, & SA, I would want to include each of their calendars on my own google calendar. Meetings for specific callings, such as the ward & stake SA committee meetings, FHC staff meetings, etc., would be helpful, too. Our YM include who is collecting fast offerings, periodic payment dates for camps & conferences, etc.

I also like being able to choose the color and include typical US holidays as well. As my children's ages change, I look at prior year calendars for that age to see what typical events to anticipate.

I have no interest in what events are happening in SLC, but there is no method to block them from view on the church website. It would be ideal if I could hide stake, ward, & church-wide events of no interest to my family. There really is enough to see without the extra stuff.

Making use of google's shared spreadsheets & documents would be helpful in many instances, too.

Because the church calendar requires admin to follow through, information becomes out of date readily. I understand that the church may not wish to have this kind of information at non-LDS websites. However, I find little use for the LDS site as it is.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

I just want to inform everyone that there is a Church-sponsored, Community-developed project that is just barely starting in the early stages to replace the current Local Unit Web Sites. This project would recreate all of the existing functionality with added functionality from ideas from the Community and pending Church approval (both legal and priesthood approval).

The brainstorming idea page is found on the LDS Tech Wiki here: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/LUW ... uggestions
coletheelder

Post by coletheelder »

First of all, we've got a steam engine, at best, for an operating system, in my humble opinion, so that should probably be replaced by a hybrid that might be able to accommodate multiple platforms. And eventually something should be done about the color scheme in these windows because I'm going blind trying to read light lettering on a light background. I have trouble signing out / logging out because the the lettering is too small and the contrast in colors is, for me, virtually non-existent. Hasn't anybody heard about human-factors engineering (or whatever its called these days) or heard about system design for a single user or group of jog-related users. On top of everything else, we've tried to make MLS useful for everyone and that's impractical, like when all the bosses wanted their own piece of data added to a report that was originally intended for the user in the next office.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”