Directory Access for Missionaries

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
caleb.white

Directory Access for Missionaries

Post by caleb.white »

Will Missionaries ever get access to the directory for the area/ward they are serving in?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Directory Access for Missionaries

Post by lajackson »

caleb.white wrote:Will Missionaries ever get access to the directory for the area/ward they are serving in?
A ward clerk, with permission from the bishop, might help you do this now by adding you as an out of unit member of his ward, but it is not a simple process, and I could see some hesitancy on the part of the clerk in doing and then undoing it every time a missionary transfer took place in or out of the ward.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:
caleb.white wrote:Will Missionaries ever get access to the directory for the area/ward they are serving in?
A ward clerk, with permission from the bishop, might help you do this now by adding you as an out of unit member of his ward, but it is not a simple process, and I could see some hesitancy on the part of the clerk in doing and then undoing it every time a missionary transfer took place in or out of the ward.
Note also that some missionaries serving in areas with a high density of members might be responsible for 10-20 wards, so it's not just one ward clerk that would be involved for this approach.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Question: How would the missionaries gain access to it in an electronic format? Are they allowed to carry smart phones? Do they have regular access to a computer?

I'm just thinking that printing a directory every month for them would be as good as anything else.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

In my wildest dreams in a future time, I can envision missionaries having access based upon their ward/branch assignments as recorded by the mission office. But I have no idea if there has been any thought or effort given to this idea.

The efficient mission office can let us know which elders and sisters are assigned to which wards, and we can see that using current online tools. I suspect it would be possible to use that information to allow access to the directory of the unit where the full-time missionary is assigned. Again, this is just my imagination working.

On the other hand, as russellhltn surmised, there is the question of missionary electronic access. Although I am aware that there are a few select missions that are testing just such electronic access to see if it is viable for such things as locating members and part member families, following up on media referrals, and keeping electronic area books.

I believe the future I dream of will be real someday.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”