Where are the apps for Windows 8?

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
njb34

try bluestacks

Post by njb34 »

You might try installing bluestacks. It was originally designed for windows 7, but I am running it on windows 8 and it works fairly well. It is software that will allow you to install all android apps. Go to www.bluestacks.com to check it out.
npmiller57

Post by npmiller57 »

mevans wrote:I wouldn't be expecting applications for Windows 8. The church has focused on creating mobile apps for several mobile OSes. I would think the church would have a Win8 RT mobile app before there are any specific apps for Windows 8. For laptop/desktop users, regardless of the operating system, the solution seems to be browser applications that are pretty good (although there's the problem of not supporting IE below IE 9). I use these browser-based applications nearly daily and don't see a compelling need to have custom applications developed specifically for Windows (or Mac or Linux).

The church does have some applications for ward clerks that run on Windows, but these are not available to the general public.

Is there something in particular you were hoping to find for Windows 8? Maybe we can help direct you to things that meet your needs.
I think that hen people refer to Win8 they mean the metro apps.
wxrwxr wrote:This question implies that there is a list of LDS apps for Windows 7. Where would it be?

You didn't really need them. A good set of Win8 metro apps would go a long way.
mrargyle

Re: Where are the apps for Windows 8?

Post by mrargyle »

Alright, there are over 40 million copies of windows 8 out there. An update on some progress would be amazing. Thanks
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

mrargyle wrote:Alright, there are over 40 million copies of windows 8 out there. An update on some progress would be amazing. Thanks
Yes, and after Christmas there will probably be many more Win 8 devices in the hands of consumers. I'm certain those working for the church are well aware of this and are making the appropriate plans to meet the needs of those users. Unfortunately, the Win 8 platform is a different animal and may take some time to get the apps rewritten properly. Let's all take a deep breath and realize this isn't going to happen overnight.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
james_francisco

Post by james_francisco »

With only a 3% market share for mobile devices, I don't think that IT management at the Church sees much value in devoting time to developing apps for Windows based mobile devices. If we want those kinds of tools, we will probably have to create them on our own.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”