Hymns in parts with words for download

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
big2thumbs-p40

Hymns in parts with words for download

Post by big2thumbs-p40 »

I know that the church has the hymns on line where you can click on the part (SATB) that you want to hear to help people learn their singing parts. I think these are MIDI based. It's pretty cool but not useful for me. I'd like hymns that I can download and sing on my way to and from work everyday. I need the words too so I can learn the words. I was thinking of recording individuals (SATB) singing each part and making them available for download from a website. But unfortunately, I have way too many other projects that is taking all my time.
Why doesn't the church offer something like this? They certainly have all the resources to do so.
Are there any readers here that can chase this up the flag pole and get it on lds.org?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

big2thumbs wrote:I know that the church has the hymns on line where you can click on the part (SATB) that you want to hear to help people learn their singing parts. I think these are MIDI based. It's pretty cool but not useful for me. I'd like hymns that I can download and sing on my way to and from work everyday. I need the words too so I can learn the words. I was thinking of recording individuals (SATB) singing each part and making them available for download from a website. But unfortunately, I have way too many other projects that is taking all my time.
Why doesn't the church offer something like this? They certainly have all the resources to do so.
Are there any readers here that can chase this up the flag pole and get it on lds.org?
It might be a good idea to check with the Church if you have rights to post Hymns in the manner you're suggesting. My guess is you don't have the rights to do that.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Someone did do a commercial project, known as 'Hymnal Helper', but the product bombed, simply because it was too expensive.

But the idea of having a series of new recordings made and the Church putting these up where you can get the parts minus the one you are singing is a good one. Merrill Jensen did the hymns CDs that are out now, recorded from about 1987 to 1988 and released late in 1988.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

big2thumbs wrote:I know that the church has the hymns on line where you can click on the part (SATB) that you want to hear to help people learn their singing parts. I think these are MIDI based. It's pretty cool but not useful for me. I'd like hymns that I can download and sing on my way to and from work everyday. I need the words too so I can learn the words. I was thinking of recording individuals (SATB) singing each part and making them available for download from a website. But unfortunately, I have way too many other projects that is taking all my time.
If anyone wants to do this, they should get clearance from the intellectual properties department before publishing. I'll inform the curriculum department of your idea and they may run with it.

Tom
big2thumbs-p40

rights

Post by big2thumbs-p40 »

Yes, I'm aware of the copyrights. That was something that I didn't mention in my original posting but that is a detail that would have to be worked out. I also know that some of the hymns have copyrights held by the authors, not the church.
Having them on a website for downloads as mp3 would make it very low cost or free to the user. This seems to me like an obvious thing that the church would and should do.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Thinking about it, I wonder if we have ever sung a hymn in general conference that was not copyrighted by the Church? If we sang one of the few that the Church does not hold the copyright to, I wonder if they would just leave the words off of the satellite broadcast, or if the Church would spring for the one-time cost of displaying them.

Sounds like the counsel to sing hymns of the restoration is good counsel.

Larry Jackson

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”