Postage stamps

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

wrigjef wrote:It would be nice if the distribution center allowed units to order (forever) postage stamps. Another suggestion might be for the church to sell postage paid envelopes.

I agree. While it is not terrible to cut another check for reimbursement, being able to order postage through distribution services would be very convenient.

jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

For those of us who live within reasonable distance of a US Post Office, it is probably just as easy to buy stamps locally and submit for reimbursement. However, I realize there are many out there where it is not that convenient. And with the USPS seriously looking as closing up shop at many postal stations around the country, it will likely soon be less convenient for a lot more clerks.

The USPS has a Stamps by Mail program that I've used in the past. You can pick up an order form at the post office (I usually have a couple sitting around "just in case"), but they also have provision for buying stamps at the USPS Web site. In this regard, the only benefit for having the distribution center become a postage reseller would be the ability to charge the cost directly to your budget.
JLR
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's not uncommon to be able to buy stamps at stores. They're not out for display, you just have to ask at the register or customer service window.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
funaddict

Post by funaddict »

eblood66 wrote:See Handbook 1 section 14.6.7. At the end of the 3rd paragraph it indicates that check signers should not sign for checks made out to themselves (or if they are the fast offering beneficiary). So in that case, the bishop should not sign the check even if that is the general local policy.
Thanks for the reference. I guess it comes down to the definition of "should." Throughout the Handbook there are many instances of directives that inlude "should" as well as many that include "Must or Must not." A quick example is where it says "Checks should be made payable to the ward." They "should", but we don't hesitate accepting checks made out to the church, LDS church, etc. If the directive said they "must" be made out to the ward, then we would have to return any of the others to the members for correction. I don't think the handbook would have had any problem saying "must not sign a check" if that's exactly what they meant. I remember reading somewhere that as far as the law is concerned, "should, try, attempt, etc.", are not legally binding.
Personally, I will make every attempt to follow the directives that include "should."
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

funaddict wrote:Personally, I will make every attempt to follow the directives that include "should."
This is the best approach to take. I find that since the Handbook is written to cover most every unit throughout the world in many countries, in many cultures, and in may legal environments there needs to be allowance for unknown or unforeseen circumstances. The word "should" allows leeway for leaders to make exceptions when directed by the Spirit. I feel it is not used simply to give room for personal convenience.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

RossEvans wrote:I know that, having mailed hundreds of checks. The postal processing with the #10 envelopes almost always worked, so long as the printer alignment was perfect and the bottom of the checks sat benignly at the bottom of the envelopes.

But sometimes it didn't work, because there was more than 1/2" of vertical slop inside the #10 envelope above the folded check, and a loose fit horizontally. If the check happened to slide up inside the envelope during the mail handling, the top line(s) of the address got obscured. Then, after a few days, the automated USPS processing returned the mail piece to the bishop's return address. This happened frequently enough -- and caused enough headaches from late fees, etc. -- that we stopped using the church-supplied #10 envelopes and bought the #9 envelopes instead. They are more snug.

If the church stationery distribution service offered #9 window envelopes (or perhaps even #8, which I calculate would fit the folded checks perfectly) that would be cheaper than buying our own. But cheaper or not, we need the reliability.

OK I did not think this was an issue for us but the Stake President let me know the other night that he has had a few checks returned because the check slide in the envelope. Anyone know if Salt Lake is aware of this problem or if there is a fix in the works?
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I haven't seen a disbursement check in a while, but yes, I've seen #9 envelopes, they are a pretty standard one to purchase, and are sold in office supply places near or alongside the #10's.

USPS prestamped envelopes only come in #10 though and not #9, that's a second strike against those as the first one is the extra cost primarily for the materials to make the envelope.

Another option is to use windowless #10's as I think most printers will allow you to print envelopes, you can even add Postnet codes to them, which will improve the whole process once you drop the mail off at the post office or wherever you drop it off for mailing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JamesAnderson wrote:you can even add Postnet codes to them
Note that Postnet is on the way out. Intelligent Mail barcode is the new standard.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

The new barcode is already in heavy use, I'm sure the same software packages that are used to print envelopes already have the new code in it, and have all moved away from Postnet now. And by the way, I'm almost sure LibreOffice has this as part of its envelope printing component, most word processors have such a component.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

JamesAnderson wrote:I haven't seen a disbursement check in a while, but yes, I've seen #9 envelopes, they are a pretty standard one to purchase, and are sold in office supply places near or alongside the #10's.

USPS prestamped envelopes only come in #10 though and not #9, that's a second strike against those as the first one is the extra cost primarily for the materials to make the envelope.

Another option is to use windowless #10's as I think most printers will allow you to print envelopes, you can even add Postnet codes to them, which will improve the whole process once you drop the mail off at the post office or wherever you drop it off for mailing.
I know plain #9 envelopes are available from office supply stores. Clearly SL makes stationary #10 window envelopes available because they can see that they help (saves me tons of time) and offer it as an option. If they were aware that this is an issue, perhaps they would consider adding #9 or maybe #8 stationary window envelopes to their offerings at the distribution center.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”