reduce need for custom callings

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

RussellHltn wrote:That will take much of the need away, but I think there are still situations where it would be useful. I've seen things posted here were there may be two membership clerks with different assignments.
Relief Society committees often have specific assignments as well even though the actual calling is simply Relief Society Committee member. In many case having these assignments listed in the directory would be useful. I think it could also be useful in YSA wards where there are often multiple committees.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

I can see uses for it too (for example my current calling - STS - Software, I would add Software as the custom text and Hardware to my counterpart), I just wanted to see if there was more than just me.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

JonesRK wrote:When class assignments are available/visible in LDS.org is there still validity to having a custom text field to add to the description of the standard position?
Would such a field apply to just class assignment situations or all callings? Applying it to teaching calls would be great, but what about callings like assistant clerks that also may have specific assignments? Right now, you must choose between membership, finance or just the generic "ward assistant clerk." If you want to give him a further descriptive title, you must use a custom calling that won't grant him the permissions he may need.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

kisaac wrote:Would such a field apply to just class assignment situations or all callings? Applying it to teaching calls would be great, but what about callings like assistant clerks that also may have specific assignments? Right now, you must choose between membership, finance or just the generic "ward assistant clerk." If you want to give him a further descriptive title, you must use a custom calling that won't grant him the permissions he may need.
I would see it applying to all callings.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

JonesRK wrote: I just wanted to see if there was more than just me.
Yes, make it so, JonesRK!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JonesRK wrote:That is correct, but class assignments is something that will be coming to Clerk Resources and CDOL.

Perhaps the class assignments could automate common case of Sunday School teachers, but the fields could be "reused" to meet our request to minimize the rejiggering of the infrastructure (and make it more likely we'll get this sooner then later).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

kisaac wrote:Yes, make it so, JonesRK!
Unfortunately it's not just me that would have to do it, but I will make the suggestion and see if we can get it done.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Another use case is family history center director and assistant, we have 5 in our stake... It would be great to have a designation of their center.
accampbell

Post by accampbell »

Adding the course assignment or calling details would be very helpful. It would also be nice if the course information / calling details showed on the various reports with the calling.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”