reduce need for custom callings

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
geowlewis

reduce need for custom callings

Post by geowlewis »

We are finding there are good reasons to encourage the use of standard callings (website permissions, especially) and I expect this to continue. But the standard list, while good, does not and cannot cover all callings. One way to make the standard callings more useful, however, would be to add a custom descriptor to the database, allowing the use of the standard calling in more cases.

For example, our ward has called a couple to teach a Marriage & Family Relations class in Sunday School. That calling does not exist in the list of standard callings, but there is one for a generic Sunday School Teacher. Right now, we have to use a custom calling and (as noted elsewhere) those do not appear in many lists. If we were able to use the standard calling of Teacher, with a custom descriptor field for the actual assignment, we would be able to use the standard calling.

If this has been proposed before, I am sorry for the duplication. It does seem like a reasonable technical solution that would make the tool more useful.

Also, with this addition, it would be possible to define standard positions such as Relief Society Staff. With that as a base, custom callings like 'greeter' or 'luncheon coordinator' could be included in mobile listings.
geowlewis

Post by geowlewis »

In re-reading my post, I don't think I described the idea very well. I am proposing that in the structure of the information about a standard calling, a field be added that could include a custom description (arbitrary text). That field should print with the reports to allow the leadership to see clearly what the calling entails, but the permissions on the website would be driven by the fact that the calling is standard. If I were designing the report, I would put the custom text in parentheses (if it exists). In my Sunday School example above, it would show up as Sunday School Teacher (Marriage & Family Relations).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest calling this field "Assignment". In your example, the Sunday School Teacher is assigned to Marriage & Family Relations.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

As RusselHltn suggests, for your teachers in primary and sunday school, such structure is already in place. Call them as teachers in the sunday school, (what you are calling standard "generic" callings,) and their "assignment" is the Marriage and Family relations class. In this case, you would need to add the Marriage and family relations class, of course, so you can assign your teachers to it.

Compare this to your SS youth teachers. MLS will allow you to call them in two ways with standard callings; Either as the "standard" calling of Sunday School Teacher, or call them as the "standard" calling for the specific class, which is apparently what you wish to do.

Consider for a moment how they are called- as a teacher in that organization. The organization leaders then "assign" a class to teach. At year end, do you release, then re-call and re-sustain (and re set-apart) each teacher that will be moving to a new age (class) or do you just 're-assign' them?

In MLS, on a practical level, it is the same. If you enter their call once as a "generic" teacher, then assign to classes, it makes changes to class assignments FAR EASIER because you don't need to re-enter the calling dates and sustaining for each teacher multiple times- just change the class assignment.
geowlewis

Post by geowlewis »

OK, thanks for the update. I didn't fully understand how the assignment to classes worked -- it seemed redundant. I will go ahead and use this for our teachers. My suggestion still would work for non-teaching areas, but perhaps that is lower priority. Those in non-teaching, non-leadership positions would not tend to need website permissions linked to their callings.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Primary is similar. We have found it more useful to call the Primary Teachers as just a Primary Teacher and then assign them to a specific class. That way I don't have to re-enter everything when the Primary President moves them to a new class (they are not are formally called and sustained to a specific class over the pupit).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kisaac wrote:As RusselHltn suggests, for your teachers in primary and sunday school, such structure is already in place.

Actually, I was suggesting an improvement to the original feature request. While assignments are valid in ward administration, I'm unaware of any field in MLS or CDOL that supports that. So the modified suggestion is adding a field to MLS, CDOL, Directory and LDS Tools called "Assignment". So, using your example, everyone can see which of the "Sunday School Teachers" is assigned to the "Marriage and Family Relations" class.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

RussellHltn wrote:While assignments are valid in ward administration, I'm unaware of any field in MLS or CDOL that supports that. So the modified suggestion is adding a field to MLS, CDOL, Directory and LDS Tools called "Assignment".
I agree, and failed earlier to point out that class assignments in MLS exist onlhy in MLS apparently, and do not "flow" to cdol, and thus to LDS.org as currently configured.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

kisaac wrote:I agree, and failed earlier to point out that class assignments in MLS exist onlhy in MLS apparently, and do not "flow" to cdol, and thus to LDS.org as currently configured.
That is correct, but class assignments is something that will be coming to Clerk Resources and CDOL. When class assignments are available/visible in LDS.org is there still validity to having a custom text field to add to the description of the standard position?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JonesRK wrote:When class assignments are available/visible in LDS.org is there still validity to having a custom text field to add to the description of the standard position?

That will take much of the need away, but I think there are still situations where it would be useful. I've seen things posted here were there may be two membership clerks with different assignments.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”