Building Reservations Calendar

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
kbfree1
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 8:03 am

Building Reservations Calendar

Postby kbfree1 » Fri May 11, 2012 8:10 am

One of the biggest concerns I have is scheduling conflicts with our buildings. Members can add events on the calendar based on permissions according to their callings. They can also request to use certain parts of the building at certain times for the event. They can also call or email the building scheduler. I have found it difficult with many building schedulers to get a hold of them, and also had them schedule me to use the building on top of an already set up reservation. It would be great to have a calendar which shows all the times a building is reserved and which parts of the building are reserved. Then where your position gives permission someone could go online and reserve the building or rooms in the building and it would only let you if no conflict with the calendar. You could then instanly see your reservation on the calendar once entered. This would prevent a lot of conflicts. Also those whose positions did not let them make reservations could still see what is reserved and when, and call their auxillaly leaders (or whomever has permisson) and have them add the reservation for them.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14690
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Fri May 11, 2012 9:20 am

kbfree1 wrote:One of the biggest concerns I have is scheduling conflicts with our buildings. Members can add events on the calendar based on permissions according to their callings. They can also request to use certain parts of the building at certain times for the event.


Yes, this is how it works -- calendar editors are specified by calling (or by name) and then they can add or update events on their assigned calendar(s).

kbfree1 wrote:They can also call or email the building scheduler. I have found it difficult with many building schedulers to get a hold of them, and also had them schedule me to use the building on top of an already set up reservation.


If that's happening, then it is because your building schedulers need more training in the difference between a reservation and an event. It's impossible to schedule an event on top of an existing event, and events are the only true way a room or location is booked for someone's use.

It sounds like you are asking a building scheduler to book the building, but (unless they have been granted extra permissions beyond what a building scheduler can do) they are creating a reservation -- not an event. Building schedulers should not be using reservations to book the building -- a reservation is primarily for limiting event scheduling for a particular ward or the stake. By design, reservations can overlap events, but that is not a conflict. See About reservations.

kbfree1 wrote:It would be great to have a calendar which shows all the times a building is reserved and which parts of the building are reserved.


Every member pretty much has this capability already. The View other ward calendars help topic explains how to see all events (and reservations) for a particular building. You do have to drill down to the details to see which part of the building is reserved, but at a glance you can see the events, times, and buildings.

kbfree1 wrote:Then where your position gives permission someone could go online and reserve the building or rooms in the building and it would only let you if no conflict with the calendar.


Anyone with calendar editor or administrator permissions can already create events, and will only be allowed to create events if there is no conflict.

kbfree1 wrote:You could then instanly see your reservation on the calendar once entered. This would prevent a lot of conflicts.


Events that are created already appear immediately on the calendar. Again, no event conflicts are possible.

kbfree1 wrote:Also those whose positions did not let them make reservations could still see what is reserved and when, and call their auxillaly leaders (or whomever has permisson) and have them add the reservation for them.


As I mentioned, every member can see all this information already.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

kisaac
Community Moderators
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:04 am
Location: Utah, united states

Postby kisaac » Fri May 11, 2012 10:05 am

Welcome to the forum!
aebrown's post is well-done, and he does have much experience with the calendar. I would echo that it appears not everyone is using the calendar as intended in your wards / stake. I would suggest everyone study the "help guides" and the videos (use the "help" button, top right in the calendar app, or go here.)


It is particularly telling when you say "or you can call the building scheduler." I would suggest this is were your conflicts arise. The difference between a reservation and an event?

Look at it this way- reservations AND events work together: The building scheduler makes a reservation that allows only the first ward to use the building on the first Tuesday. Now, the scouts of the first ward can enter an event about scout meeting on that tuesday, for the room they need. Even though a reservation was made, only when you enter an event with a scheduled location THROUGH THE CALENDAR is that location secured and conflicts for that room at the same time avoided for ALL USERS of that building, regardless of ward.

If there is no reservation at all, the scouts could still enter their event and schedule their needed room, and that location is secured and conflicts for that room at the same time are avoided for ALL USERS of that building, regardless of ward. The system won't allow a second event to use the same resource (room,) but apparently your building schedulers are.

Remember, entering a reservation only does not secure the room....


Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest