Software Study Journal

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
seanmcox-p40

Gospel and Scripture Topical Guide Release

Post by seanmcox-p40 »

OK, as I'd promised, I released the 0.1 version of the Gospel and Scripture Topical Guide. I've made the download available through http://scripturetopicalguide.theshtick.org/. (It's a rather rudimentary download system I'd previously developed for another project, updated to do more of what I needed for this specific site.)

I certainly hope it is worth gleaning a few ideas from. You're welcome to take whatever ideas you might like. That's the main reason I mentioned my little project here. In that same vein, the website contains some planned feature notes, which you're welcome to glean ideas from if you find there are any worth gleaning.

The source is not yet available, but I expect I'll be making that available as well once I develop a suitable license. (The license for the software is designed to be more protective for the sake of clearly protecting planned or existing add-on packages. The source for my own work will be more freely usable and manipulable for projects like yours, in the event that any of it is found worth reusing.)
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

seanmcox wrote:OK, as I'd promised, I released the 0.1 version of the Gospel and Scripture Topical Guide. I've made the download available through http://scripturetopicalguide.theshtick.org/. (It's a rather rudimentary download system I'd previously developed for another project, updated to do more of what I needed for this specific site.)

I certainly hope it is worth gleaning a few ideas from. You're welcome to take whatever ideas you might like. That's the main reason I mentioned my little project here. In that same vein, the website contains some planned feature notes, which you're welcome to glean ideas from if you find there are any worth gleaning.

The source is not yet available, but I expect I'll be making that available as well once I develop a suitable license. (The license for the software is designed to be more protective for the sake of clearly protecting planned or existing add-on packages. The source for my own work will be more freely usable and manipulable for projects like yours, in the event that any of it is found worth reusing.)
Great start! I played around with it for a bit. I can see the potential.

Tom
seanmcox-p40

Obrigado

Post by seanmcox-p40 »

Thanks. :-)
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Thanks and hopefully we can provide a few ideas to better your project too.
- David
seanmcox-p40

Post by seanmcox-p40 »

I like ideas.
thegordo

long time coming .....

Post by thegordo »

I wouldn't say it is feature complete by any means but there is a 0.2 release of Scripture Study Plus that I've posted to Google's code hosting site. It can be downloaded from: http://code.google.com/p/scripturestudyplus

Please keep in mind that this is still considered at best beta quality software, so there is a strong possibility of some bugs that exist, Though there shouldn't be any deal breakers in there. If you happen across one please let me know about it(at the link given above) so it can be fixed.
marianomarini

Maybe is not the right place, but ...

Post by marianomarini »

When I start SSP I get this error.
Do I need some other download?
I can run other java programs and NetBeans 6.0 is on my Pc.

libxcb: WARNING! Program tries to unlock a connection without having acquired
a lock first, which indicates a programming error.
There will be no further warnings about this issue.
libxcb: WARNING! Program tries to lock an already locked connection,
which indicates a programming error.
There will be no further warnings about this issue.
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/swing/GroupLayout$Group
at scripturestudy.ScriptureStudyApp.startup(ScriptureStudyApp.java:29)
at org.jdesktop.application.Application$1.run(Application.java:171)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:242)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
thegordo

Post by thegordo »

It looks like you might not running it with java 6. Java 5 (Java2 1.5) does not include grouplayout in it's standard API, where as Java 6 does. let me know if this works out. There is now a SSPUsers google group that is linked to from the project page, where things like this should probabally go, but I just made it so there really wasn't another avenue before ...

Let me know what version of Java you are running it with and especially if it won't run with java 6 se.
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

tebbs wrote:I think it would be great to have a software study journal.
I installed a multi-user version of Wordpress (http://wordpress.org/) called Wordpress-mu (http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress MU).

I use it. Its great. I can tag posts, distribute copies of the journal quickly/easily, maintain a list of who can see which posts, etc.

Any blogging tool would do the trick. I just happen to like web-based (the fact that it uses a MySQL database means I could easily change front ends).
Andrew.J.Auman

What is this project's status?

Post by Andrew.J.Auman »

I just found this thread (I'm new to ldstech) and I visited the sourceforge project page that was created for it, but it doesn't appear that this project is being actively worked on. Also, there doesn't seem to be many recent posts to this thread. What is the current status of this project?

It would be nice to have software with the functionality previously mentioned in this thread available to all users at lds.org through their own web interface when they log into their lds.org account. Currently, I'm using Mediawiki on my personal computer (using a WAMP Server) to keep track of personal gospel study topics with external links to lds.org for scripture references, talks, study guides, etc (I haven't put the wiki online yet because I haven't felt the need to). Having these external links built into the wiki would be great, as it would allow me to have control over them (e.g. I could edit and/or add footnotes to scriptures, highlight material, interlink material, etc) and it would save me a lot of work if the links to specific Church material ever change, but until the church decides how they are going to handle the intellectual rights issues associated with making these materials public this just isn't an option.

As far as the project is concerned, I think it would be better to customize available open source code to fit our needs rather than start from the ground up. It just seems like a more efficient approach to me. Personally, I've been pleased with Mediawiki so far. I think that we should set up a wiki, but instead of having all of the pages public allow users to set up both public and private pages. That way, if they want to share their thoughts about a scripture (or whatnot) that could make it public, whereas if they wanted to keep their info private they could still do so (personally, I think that the software should only be to show each user their own notes and studies. I mention the public sharing of notes only because it seems that others who have posted to this thread are interested in it.).

The only problem with this would be that we would have to link to the study material available on lds.org , as we don't have access to it. However, if the Church (seeing the need this could fill) ever incorporated a personal wiki interface into their website available to those who have accounts on lds.org, then such wiki could just be a personalized extension to the general gospel library. I envision logging onto my lds.org account and having access to my wiki pages which would contain my personal gospel study insights, which I could have reference the general study material, and which would allow me to add/embed personal notes into the general reference material (i.e. the general reference material would be part of my personal wiki account, or rather, the gospel library would be run as part of and by the same software as the wiki and would load my personal edits/note/references to the general material when I log in to my lds.org account).

I don't know what back end software the Church uses to serve the gospel library, but I'm sure that such an implementation would be feasible. I simply think that if the Church saw the desire members had for a gospel library which could be personalized, and how useful it would be to those members, that they would implement it. Accordingly, I think that the project should be directed toward showing the feasibility of such software, the need for such software, and an idea of what such software would entail.

Given, it would require the development of such software, and (more difficulty) the integration of such software with the current gospel library architecture (this could be a lot of work, but worth it in the end). It would also require the hardware to handle the increased traffic/server load and the saved user-specific study information, but it would solve the intellectual property problem as the Church would not be releasing their copyrighted materials to the public (those materials would still be on the Church website with each member's personalized study notes).

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Let me know where the project stands.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”