Scripture-Centered Foreign Language Learning Apps

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
kjdiederich

Scripture-Centered Foreign Language Learning Apps

Post by kjdiederich »

I would like to see church-provided apps that employ the scriptures as a medium for foreign language study. I believe this could help missionaries and others in the church who want to better prepare themselves to communicate the gospel message in another language.

For example, I envision an iPhone and/or web app that provides side-by-side, verse by verse reading of the standard works or other important church publication, with vocabulary lists for a given body (book, chapter, verse, etc) showing that actual word-to-word translation as used in that document, vocabulary study lists by frequency for the given body of work, etc.

Such a project would require primarily REST-based access to the scriptures on lds.org. Any advice on how one might go about initiating (or obtaining approval for) such a project on the LDS tech site would be appreciated.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kjdiederich wrote:Such a project would require primarily REST-based access to the scriptures on lds.org. Any advice on how one might go about initiating (or obtaining approval for) such a project on the LDS tech site would be appreciated.

The API you're looking for should be explained in Third-party API for gospel content. I'm not sure what the status of that API is at this point, but the linked article contains an email address where you can ask further questions.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”