Need video solution for pianist to see chorister

For things that just don't fit anywhere else.
mprusse

Need video solution for pianist to see chorister

Post by mprusse »

In our building (Cody) it is very difficult for the pianist to see the chorister when the choir is standing. I would like to install a very inexpensive wireless camera pointed at the chorister and then have the pianist use their smart phone to tap into the signal and view the video at the piano.

Thoughts on how I might do this? I'm considering a inexpensive IP camera but I'm assuming that signal will run over the building wireless. Ideally, I would love a peer to peer solution so the signal transmits directly from camera to phone but can try other wireless solutions as well.

Thank you for your suggestions!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Need video solution for pianist to see chorister

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest going another direction. I think you'll find there's too much delay in any digital system to be able to conduct music. Stand with a camera and monitor and start moving your hand like you're conducting and you'll see what I mean. Even if there isn't a very large lag, there will still be enough that it will upset trying to keep time, being off by half a beat or so.

I have to set up the same thing for our grand concerts, but end up using all analog equipment to avoid delay.

I'd suggest something more low-tech. Either re-position the chorister or have someone positioned who can act as a "repeater" for the chorister's direction.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Depending on how things are set up, you might also be able to use a mirror.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

Search AMAZON for "wireless car camera". There are lots of analog camera options for <$50 with no transmission delay.
idahojoe

Post by idahojoe »

If you're insisting on using a camera solution, you might look at some of these 'retro-fit' backup cameras for cars. They come with a camera and monitor built into a mirror. You would not have the latency issue with this type of system that you would with a smartphone connecting to an IP camera. They come in wired and wireless varieties. I picked up a wired one for my car for around $25 from Amazon. You would simply need to add a 12v DC adapter to run the system in your case.

Return to “Other Meetinghouse Technologies”