Options when satellite receiver fails?

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
lrawlins

Options when satellite receiver fails?

Post by lrawlins »

Hi,

Last Sunday I went to set up for a CES broadcast and knew when I got only snow on the TV that I had a problem somewhere.

I quickly found that a 6 month old receiver had failed.

A call to broadcast support quickly confirmed that the unit was toast.

They asked if I wanted to use streaming video for this event, but I haven't a clue what is required.

What experience do other Stake Tech's have using streaming, and what is required for it.

The other building in my Stake with a Satellite has also failed and FM group tells me it will not be replaced as only Stake Centers are authorized for them at this time. Our Spanish Branch uses this system for all their broadcasts.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The FM group handles the replacement. Mine just hands me the unit, but they know me.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why they won't replace a failed system. Granted, unless some distances are involved, only stake centers have them. But it strikes me as odd that if there was a reason strong enough to go to the trouble of installing the system, that it's no longer good enough to replace a failed receiver. You might want to call satellite support and see if they have any guidance on the subject. If all else fails, let the stake president know of the situation. He has more power with the FM group.

I'm also puzzled about the symptom of "snow". That was common in the analog days, but the system is digital. "Dead carrier" (no signal) maybe, but not snow.

I've not tried streaming myself, but first you have to have a broadband connection in the building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lrawlins wrote:They asked if I wanted to use streaming video for this event, but I haven't a clue what is required.

What experience do other Stake Tech's have using streaming, and what is required for it.

In the April 2011 Meetinghouse Technology Newsletter, there was this helpful suggestion:
If I can’t fix my satellite system, are there other ways I can watch the broadcast?
Most broadcasts are available through online streaming or through audio backup over the telephone. As a wise man once said, “Be prepared.” You should have a backup plan in place for every broadcast, just in case you encounter problems with your satellite system. For more viewing options, see the “Viewing Church broadcasts” wiki page.
There are many threads on this forum on this topic, but I would start with the linked wiki page.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

We have been using the streaming internet as both backup and main method of viewing Conference and other Broadcasts. We use a laptop connected to the projector and windows media player on one and windows media center on another both seem to work better then the Sat I think it is better video. We do have 20MB download cable internet in all our buildings. It is easier to set up and seem to be a better solution. Using streaming feeds we now have conference at ALL buildings! And of course we have members who use streaming at home and report excellent reception even using 1.5 MB DSL service.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Still, there is the matter of the fried (or whatever) receiver. One issue is warranties, although commercial use warranties (what the Church would be covered under in these cases) are often much shorter than those that cover home appliances or other things.

At Sears, we would have a 90-day IW period on a commercial unit that had a 1-year IW period on a home install. But it's worth checking on to see if they can recoup the losses on the unit if the thing is IW, or if not, dealing with the replacement issues that are obvious.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

JamesAnderson wrote:Still, there is the matter of the fried (or whatever) receiver. One issue is warranties, although commercial use warranties (what the Church would be covered under in these cases) are often much shorter than those that cover home appliances or other things.
By way of information,
The church receivers are waratied by the manufacturer for 90 days, however the church also has an agreement with the manufacturer that they will repair them for a flat rate fee on the repairs.
Steve Poulsen - Meetinghouse Facilities Technology Engineer

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”