New Teradek Unit - Poor Audio

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
ccmichaelson

New Teradek Unit - Poor Audio

Post by ccmichaelson »

We've been using the webcast communicator for many years and we're switching over to the new Teradek broadcast solution. I've run several test broadcasts and the audio after x minutes becomes garbled (as though someone inhaled helium and they're trying to talk funny).

I have SD cameras, video switcher, and a direct audio line from the chapel. From my video switcher I plug the video into the Atlona SD -> HDMI converter (pro version as recommended). My Teradek receives the video from the Atlona converter and the analog audio line from the video switcher/audio mixer.

Question
1) Do i plug the analog audio line into the Teradek or the Atlona device
2) What audio setting do you recommend in the Teradek setup/config?

Thanks!
gldavis1111

Re: New Teradek Unit - Poor Audio

Post by gldavis1111 »

I have plugged the audio directly into the teradek, and that has worked well. Did you get yours working?
ccmichaelson

Post by ccmichaelson »

The audio was poor when it was plugged directly into the Teradek but when I plugged it into the Atlona converter and modified Teradek's audio setting (telling it that both audio and video was entering via HDMI) then it worked great.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

That is the way that I did my webcast yesterday. I am using a Roland VR3-ex audio/video mixer. I sent everything to the Teradek via HDMI and overall it worked terrific. I did have one unit that lost connection for milliseconds and then the audio on their end was garbled and talking funny. Once the buffers and everything on the workstation restored, everything was fine.

It may also be at the receiving end because if the computer that is receiving the broadcast can't allocate enough buffers and other stuff to maintain quality then it will sound like someone is talking with helium. On to the next webcast.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ccmichaelson wrote:The audio was poor when it was plugged directly into the Teradek but when I plugged it into the Atlona converter and modified Teradek's audio setting (telling it that both audio and video was entering via HDMI) then it worked great.
I have exactly the opposite problem. Audio through HDMI is barely distinguishable, but directly through the Teradek works great.
dwilson271

Post by dwilson271 »

Bringing this back up as we have a building that is experiencing this same problem. Was the solution to just bring audio in a different way? The camera we have in the building does not have a mic, so we can’t route the sound to HDMI.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dwilson271 wrote:Bringing this back up as we have a building that is experiencing this same problem. Was the solution to just bring audio in a different way? The camera we have in the building does not have a mic, so we can’t route the sound to HDMI.
Is the sound garbled from the beginning or does it become garbled as it's in use as OP describes?

If it's always garbled, then the connection is probably not correct. Perhaps you have the Teradek set to "mic" level and feeding it line.

If it starts out OK and becomes garbled, I'd suspect overheating. The unit seems to get warm in use. I've tie-wrapped it to the tripod such that the vent holes become the top and bottom to help the heat escape.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”