Video from multi-stake conference

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
dhollowell

Video from multi-stake conference

Post by dhollowell »

I'm looking for some guidance and informational background. On February 14, 2016, my stake was involved in a multi-stake conference. The first 30 minutes were local business, then there was a broadcast that originated from SLC. Elder Renlund presided, Elder Hamula conducted, and Elder Grow and Sis. Oscarson also spoke. All the talks were very informative and several acquaintances from my ward mentioned that they'd really like to get a copy of the video, which wasn't recorded locally. So began my journey.

The week following the conference, I called Global Support in SLC (it was a shot in the dark, but I took it). They put me on hold and called the department that manages the broadcasts. The Global Support rep then told me I needed to go through my Stake President, who needed to contact the Area Presidency office. I emailed the Stake President, who said he would follow up. The Stake Presidency was reorganized about 6 weeks later, so I've contacted the Stake Executive Secretary and forwarded the email thread that I had with the (now) former Stake President. The Executive Secretary said he'd look into it. My question is: why is it so difficult to get this video and am I just wasting time thinking I'm actually going to receive it?? General Conference video is available after 24 hours; I've been waiting two months for this video. What am I missing or unaware of??
eblood66

Re: Video from multi-stake conference

Post by eblood66 »

In most cases that I've heard about (like here) the request for videos or transcripts has been denied.

There is usually not an explanation either but I would guess that because the conference was not directed to the whole church they don't want the talks distributed widely. And the best way to control distribution is to not distribute at all.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dhollowell wrote:What am I missing or unaware of??
General Conference is for the whole world. Regional and Stake Conferences are just for the areas involved. I'm not sure what all is involved in a General Conference talk - they may go though some kind of correlation. At any rate, there seems to be an active interest in making sure the talks do not "escape" their intended boundaries - even if the talks are given by General Authorities.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dhollowell

Post by dhollowell »

Thank you eblood66 and russellhltn. I wondered if it might be because the "vetting" of local/regional talks by GA's is considerably less than with General Conference. Frankly, I think it is a shame that the enemies of the church have made it this way. Our recently released Stake President asked for years to have an Apostle come to our stake. He was denied each time. Finally, he struck gold. On April 24, our stake is having a special meeting with Elder Bednar presiding. I asked our new Stake President about recording it. He declined, stating it's "policy". That's too bad, because it would be a great missionary tool to use the comments directed to our stake and take them to active members who couldn't attend, less active members or investigators. But the nit-pickers who criticize every little thing an apostle or General Authority says have helped to ensure we lose that tool. I'm not the least bit bitter about it!! Rant completed. Onward and upward!! Thanks again you two.
jfallen1

Post by jfallen1 »

We had a multi stake conference September 11 2016 with elder Ballard , I understand that these meetings are not recorded for latter use by the members. This is unfortunate for those of us who have difficulty hearing especially with electronic broadcast, for my self I'm lucky to understand 30% of what is said. Without at least a written transcript to read latter there really is much reason to attend these types of meeting.
Just a thought thank you.
B_Seegmiller

Post by B_Seegmiller »

dhollowell wrote:... On April 24, our stake is having a special meeting with Elder Bednar presiding. I asked our new Stake President about recording it. He declined, stating it's "policy". That's too bad, because it would be a great missionary tool to use the comments directed to our stake and take them to active members who couldn't attend, less active members or investigators. But the nit-pickers who criticize every little thing an apostle or General Authority says have helped to ensure we lose that tool. I'm not the least bit bitter about it!! Rant completed. Onward and upward!! Thanks again you two.
Your complaining about it being "policy" is doing quite a disservice to those who have established the policy. With around 3,000 stakes and 30,000 wards, there have been (and continue to be) a lot of experiences that have been (and continue to be) distilled into policies, and that "policy" you're puzzling over is one of them.

While you may think it could be a good missionary tool, there are plenty of other missionary tools that are available. It should be kept in mind that a talk for a stake is pretty local and specific to that stake, and may not "scale" to other uses. Jumping a bit to a parallel but still useful example, this is why teachers are discouraged from picking up lessons off the Internet, were a teacher might rave about how "wonderful" or "spiritual" a particular lesson might have been and shares it on a blog or on FB. That lesson, if were a product of the Spirit speaking to a teacher, was specific to that time and place, and the leaders, both general and local, would rather that teachers involve themselves in the process of revelation to guide them in the developing of their lessons for their students, because the Lord knows their needs, and with the teacher following the Spirit, a needed lesson can be taught. Perhaps this is an adherence to some Western traditions we are inclined to stick to, about how "everything's in a book now". It's important for members to understand that there are lessons that can't be taught, but can be learned, and that's where the Spirit comes in, and why the Lord emphasizes it as he does. Just sayin' ...
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

jfallen1 wrote:We had a multi stake conference September 11 2016 with elder Ballard , I understand that these meetings are not recorded for latter use by the members. This is unfortunate for those of us who have difficulty hearing especially with electronic broadcast, for my self I'm lucky to understand 30% of what is said. Without at least a written transcript to read latter there really is much reason to attend these types of meeting.
Just a thought thank you.
jfallen,
I can't help much with the policies regarding the recording and broadcast, however, I would like to try to help with the hearing of electronic broadcasts. Drop me a PM, and we can see what you have to work with offline form this discussion.
Steve Poulsen - Meetinghouse Facilities Technology Engineer
sansom

Post by sansom »

russellhltn wrote:
General Conference is for the whole world. Regional and Stake Conferences are just for the areas involved. I'm not sure what all is involved in a General Conference talk - they may go though some kind of correlation. At any rate, there seems to be an active interest in making sure the talks do not "escape" their intended boundaries - even if the talks are given by General Authorities.
Just like when all of Paul's messages to 'specific regions' leaked out. ie... Ephesians, Philippians, Thessolonians, etc...
B_Seegmiller

Post by B_Seegmiller »

sansom wrote:
russellhltn wrote:
Just like when all of Paul's messages to 'specific regions' leaked out. ie... Ephesians, Philippians, Thessolonians, etc...
Not a becoming response.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”