The Youth Face to Face Broadcast Paradox

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: The Youth Face to Face Broadcast Paradox

Post by jonesrk »

shawndowler wrote:What really bothers me is I'm in unknown territory right up until the meeting time. I will be biting my nails hoping it shows up at 7:00. If it doesn't, then I've got nothing to show to a room full of teenagers.
Last time I set it up the satellite had information about the event at least 30 minutes prior so that I knew it would be showing. It was different than the normal Tabernacle Choir before conference.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

YWP and YMP to Me: How should we setup the broadcast for Wednesday night?
Me: I'd use a laptop with an ethernet connection.
YWP to Me: Can we use the AppleTV in some way?
Me: I don't think appleTV has an app for mormon channel, or would be able to access the feed, so you'd need to use airplay with an ipad or phone way too many things can go wrong.
YWP: How would you do it?
Me: I'd use a laptop with an ethernet connection - too many things can go wrong with the other scenarios (for an extended broadcast like this)
YWP: Ok, I'll go over Tuesday and try everything out and text you if I need anything.
ME: OK

Me (Wednesday Night) dropping off the Girls at the Event - YMP - trying to use Chromecast, YWP - trying to use AppleTV
Me: Grabs Laptop from Car, hooks up Ethernet, Fireside Success.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

johnshaw wrote:Fireside Success.
When our leaders realized the time had changed an hour later, too late for our youth to be out on a school night, they decided to watch it next week, so we will stream it. Not sure yet how we will get it past the firewall though.
shawndowler

Post by shawndowler »

lajackson wrote:
johnshaw wrote:Fireside Success.
When our leaders realized the time had changed an hour later, too late for our youth to be out on a school night, they decided to watch it next week, so we will stream it. Not sure yet how we will get it past the firewall though.
You probably already did this, but for everyone else's benefit, on this page, there is a download link at the bottom of the article and above the comments. Download it ahead of time and show it without having to stream it over the Internet in real-time.

https://www.lds.org/youth/activities/fa ... n?lang=eng
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

shawndowler wrote:You probably already did this, but for everyone else's benefit, on this page, there is a download link at the bottom of the article and above the comments. Download it ahead of time and show it without having to stream it over the Internet in real-time.
I discovered the link the night before we showed it to the youth. I was going to bookmark the link in case it disappeared off of the LDS.org home page, and there it was. So yes, I downloaded it and ran it directly off of my laptop.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

At all of the buildings in my stake youtube is no longer blocked.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”