Video upgrades/improvements

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Video upgrades/improvements

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:but I would like to think that any device would display the image as what it is.
Yes, but what is "it"? I'm under the impression that the foundation of VGA is little more than 3 composite signals - one for each color. The number of vertical lines is defined by the number of horizontal sync pulses between vertical pulses. But how is the number of horizontal pixels defined? I'm not sure as it is. So the display device just sizes to fit. I think most VGA devices rely on the source to insert any black bars to make the aspect ratio correct.

If you had fed it straight composite, I think it would have sensed the lack of letterbox lines and displayed it as 4:3. But I don't think that logic exists for the VGA input.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Re: Video upgrades/improvements

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks, I really wasn't thinking. It seems devices usually figure it out pretty well, but after thinking about that and talking with a friend that works at GenComm here in Utah, I will go back to the original plan of HDMI.

My friend just started there but said they do work for the Church and are both retrofitting old buildings and building new buildings with HDMI equipment. Extron seems to be the supplier of choice.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”