Windows 2000 in FHC

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20729
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Windows 2000 in FHC

Postby russellhltn » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:55 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:This is the only way I found for updating the Windows 2000 computers in our FHC, and it will work on WinXP as well.


I think we've been asked to phase out Win2000 in the FHCs. I think MS will stop issuing security patches for it next year. I'll have to check on that.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

jmessinger
New Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:57 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby jmessinger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:40 am

RussellHltn wrote:I think we've been asked to phase out Win2000 in the FHCs. I think MS will stop issuing security patches for it next year. I'll have to check on that.


Extended support for Win2K ends in July 2010. MS information on this is available here.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20729
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:34 pm

I checked with Family History Center support. Windows 2000 is no longer supported.

Reference KB 102840. (Sorry, I don't know how to reference that on-line. But if you call FHC Support and ask for that KB, you'll get the same article that was read to me.)
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:43 pm

RussellHltn wrote:I checked with Family History Center support. Windows 2000 is no longer supported.

Reference KB 102840. (Sorry, I don't know how to reference that on-line. But if you call FHC Support and ask for that KB, you'll get the same article that was read to me.


Thanks for the information -- this is very helpful. It sounds like my FHC Director has not been passing some important information to the Stake Technology Specialist (me). But now I know some good questions to ask!

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20729
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:03 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:Thanks for the information -- this is very helpful. It sounds like my FHC Director has not been passing some important information to the Stake Technology Specialist (me). But now I know some good questions to ask!


While you're at it, you may want to ask your Director to get you access to the Family History Online Guide. You won't find that bit of information, but you will find others - like the current computer policy. I think they have to arrange it with Family History Center Support.

*sigh* Did I just fork again?
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.


Return to “Family History Centers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest